Most underrated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acoma

Reaction score
There have been threads about overrated beers but let's hear about some underrated ones. For me it would have to be the reverend by Avery. I'm not an expert on quads but I have had a sheet* load of craft and I absolutely love this one. But let's hear some of your favorite beers that fly under the radar.

I would have to say Weyerbacher Quad is definitely on this list for me. I was blown away by it, then I was drunk. Also, Lucifer on tap is awesome. Another I don't really see mentioned is Tank 7 Saison by Boulevard brewing company.

Shiner Black - I normally dislike Spoetzl beers, but they knocked this one out of the park. It's a super smooth Schwarzbier style brew that I hope stays in the brew rotation in Shiner.

As highly acclaimed as KBS is I feel that Central Waters' Peruvian Morning is underrated
Although overlooked may be a better term

Dogfish head Indian brown ale, you hear alot about them but this one doesn't get much mention and it is incredible

Modus Hoperandi seems to get overlooked to me. And I will throw a second to Tank 7 boulevard in the quad

Centennial IPA should be on every hop-heads must drink list. I'm a major fan of Sam Adams Oktoberfest, in fact I have a 24 pack right now. Not enough people drink that beer. Robert the Bruce by 3 floyds doesn't get the love it deserves, imo

I think pretty much all the great session beers are underrated!! Nobody gets excited when a brewery makes a great Blonde or an excellent Amber, Everybody gets excited about DIPA's, Barleywines, Quads, etc....I think in general session beers are underrated. I still love Full Sail Amber even though you can find it everywhere....at least in CA.

Dogfish head Indian brown ale, you hear alot about them but this one doesn't get much mention and it is incredible

That happens to a lot of DFH beers. Some hardcore craft beer snobs just seem to be really hard on these guys, and I just don't get that. Take Theobroma for example. A lot of people say, 'I can't taste the cocoa!' I really can't see how anyone can miss the cocoa in the finish. Just because it doesn't taste like chocolate milk on the front/middle of the tongue doesn't mean it should! Just about every DFH beer is treated like this, unless it is one of their universally accepted as 'great beer' beers, like Burton Baton. Even 120 gets 'Mehs'... that is an amazingly well crafted beer.

I see Mikkeller is falling victim to this too. Some people seem to be like 'eh, whatever,' when they taste a beer like Beer Geek Breakfast. Are you kidding me!? That beer is so awesome, and the barrel aged version is one of the best non-imperial stouts I have ever had in my life!

60 minute is one of my favorite regular IPAs. The easier it is to get the lower the rating I have noticed. Dare I ask how popular Pliny would be if it was in every bottle shop in the US? I have never had it, just sayin. I don't even know how to answer the thread. I don't spend much time reading reviews. Dunno what is underrated. I just know what I like.

Boulevard's Oktoberfest gets no love but it's very good. I think it was new last year but I might be wrong. (Summit also makes a fairly decent Oktoberfest.)

ReverseApacheMaster said:
Boulevard's Oktoberfest gets no love but it's very good. I think it was new last year but I might be wrong. (Summit also makes a fairly decent Oktoberfest.)

Bob's 47 has been around for at least several years for sure. Shells also makes a fine Oktoberfest.

Ive always thought SN's Torpedo was underrated and taken for granted - maybe because of its availability and price? If a smaller brewery put that out there and charged $9.99 for a six I think it would be on a lot of peoples top lists..

Wexford Cream ale is one of my favorite session beers. Also Santa Fe State Pen State Porter is amazing, yet very rarely mentioned.

Odell's Levity Amber Ale. This is the beer that made me realize that Amber Ales can be special.

mrgstiffler said:
Anchor Porter is the best porter available but gets little attention.

...thumbs up to that...great porter...I usually dont do clones, but would love to find an accurate recipe...

bigbeergeek said:
Strongly, firmly disagree with this one.

+100,000,000!!!! Each to his own, of course, but I can't think of a west coast IPA that I like less.

I think pretty much all the great session beers are underrated!! Nobody gets excited when a brewery makes a great Blonde or an excellent Amber, Everybody gets excited about DIPA's, Barleywines, Quads, etc....I think in general session beers are underrated. I still love Full Sail Amber even though you can find it everywhere....at least in CA.

I completely agree- if it's not 10%, hoppy, or sour, people can't seem to get excited about it.

I would have to say Genesee Cream Ale. When my budget is tight and I want a six pack of session beer that still has some flavor, this is my go-to.

Latitude 48 isn't half as bad as I've seen it reviewed - if you go into it thinking 'lawnmower ipa'. An easy drinking, hot weather IPA is harder to come by these days of extremes. (love extremes too). SN Torpedo is a standby and feel it gets snubbed a bit as well.

Maybe not one beer in particular, but a brewery; a lot of craft-beer aficionados seem to dislike Sam Adams, and while they have a few real stinkers most of their beers are very good. If you told me I could only drink the Black Lager, Noble Pils, and their Octoberfest for the rest of my life, that wouldn't totally suck.

Maybe not one beer in particular, but a brewery; a lot of craft-beer aficionados seem to dislike Sam Adams, and while they have a few real stinkers most of their beers are very good. If you told me I could only drink the Black Lager, Noble Pils, and their Octoberfest for the rest of my life, that wouldn't totally suck.

Such truth in what you speak.

I also feel the same about SN Torpedo.

Gritty McDuff's Pub Ale is freaking awesome! It has a slight cherry note on the finish that totally makes the beer. Ive emailed them asking what specialty malts they use so I can clone it, but they won't reply!

For my money I dont think Odell Cutthroat Porter gets the pub it deserves. I think its right on par with Black Butte or Edmond Fitzgerald. Maybe it holds a special place for me as the beer I cut my craft teeth on, but its an exceptionally well done beer. If you find it on nitro at a pub, don't even think twice and get that pint.

Back