Most popular Yeast & Hop Strains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
What's the most popular yeast & hop strains that you guys think are used most by the home brewing community?

For yeast I would say it is a toss up between US05 and Nottingham for most. I prefer the US05.

For hops that is a hard one. Centennial, Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe, and Cascade tend to be the popular strains. I use cascade in more than half of the recipes I brew often.

Most popular for what? Yeast and hop combinations vary widely according to beer style as well as personal taste.

Also, hops don't have "strains" per se. They are typically referred to as different "varieties."

There always has to be at least one Thickhead in the crowd. :rolleyes:

My favorite Strain of yeast lately has been Wyeast trappist High Gravity. I have used with a number of different grain combinations and has always produced great results.

I don't have a favorite hops verity yet, I just use a lot of pearle and Fuggle because I got a killer deal on them.

Since trying liquid yeast, I may never go back to dry yeast, well unless it is an emergency. I'm sure this may change but I prefer WLP550 for now, but want to retrieve some PacMan from a few bottles of Rogue Dead Man Ale.

I and some of my fellow homebrewers in fort collins use alot of 1056 or dennys favorite. I really like Denny's favorite for my ipa's. Agree with toga on the hops at least around here.

WLP001 (aka chico) and WLP002 (aka fullers) are probably the two most popular (this includes the Wyeast versions, and the US05 for chico.

Hops: American: Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, and more recently, Amarillo and Simcoe.
English: EKG and fuggles
Noble: Saaz and Hallertau

Not the most popular, but Wyeast 1728 | Scottish Ale looks like it's going to become very popular at this home.

Belgian- Trappist high grav
English- London ale III

Hops- EKG and Amarillo/centennial

S23 Saflager WARM i.e. @ 16-26C Cheap, ideal for Australian warmer conditions a a lager that requires minimum fridge use, no starters, fresh ( good seller) , a true bottom fermenting lager yeast that "prefers" higher temperatures. Many bag this yeast ...I used not like it...but I also thought I knew more than the manufacturer...mind you I am fermenting above those same specifications but this yeast seems to just relish the higher temperatures ...fermenting and pitching @ 10C. So far as hops, I use Pride of Ringwood a lot , its gives the typical Aussie beer flavour. But Cascade, Amarillo, Nelson, Perle, Tettnang with Pride Of Ringwood and Magnum for bittering seem to be my most liked. I need to try other styles more I am sure and expand my list. Hops in the deep freeze I have never used.One of the excitements of brewing....learning Cheers Dave

Back