Most hotly debated techniques?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thread_closed.gif

no it's not ;)

How about whether its a good idea or not to ask for help on a paper you are writing on an internet forum?

Really, what are you writing this paper for? Or do you have too much free time?

Real nice as usual.

I'm betting it's a basic English Comp or Debate type class and he has to present an argument and he's deciding to do it based on his hobby. Pretty cool actually.

I'm betting it's a basic English Comp or Debate type class and he has to present an argument and he's deciding to do it based on his hobby. Pretty cool actually.

Actually I already have my Masters. I should have been more clear I'm beginning to formulate an article debating tradition vs innovation in homebrewing...not so much which is better but more the why and the history.

Hadn't expected so many responses so fast and it has been a busy day at work.

How about whether its a good idea or not to ask for help on a paper you are writing on an internet forum?

Really, what are you writing this paper for? Or do you have too much free time?

I guess you can say too much free time ;)

Too much free time is the better answer, I think.

Palmer's How to Brew v Papazian's New Complete Joy of Homebrewing

GoldMiner, I was waiting for that one...I still don't know why they asked me to do this commercial

Old school vs innovation would HAVE to be secondary or no secondary.

A secondary was INSISTED upon not even that many years ago, and I think the majority of brewers who follow modern practices would agree that a secondary is rarely necessary to prevent autolysis.

Or, maybe Hot Side Aeration?

A secondary was INSISTED upon not even that many years ago, and I think the majority of brewers who follow modern practices would agree that a secondary is rarely necessary to prevent autolysis.

Or, maybe Hot Side Aeration?

No chill may be able to be thrown in there as well?

Precisely my thinking, and in my initial research it seems this argument, albeit for different reasons, has been going on for centuries.

the real answer is that were a bunch of opinionated human beings that try these different things and they appear to work and we fit them into our regimen. after that, we are right and everything else is too silly to even entertain.
you know, kinda how some people will spend money on $3,000 worth of golf clubs and tell you it helps them play better than the $85 set they originally got from the pawn shop.
or how the thousands and thousands of dollars some of us spend on brewing equipment and spaces to put it all in, somehow makes better beer than a guy with a 5 gallon plastic bucket and a stove top boiler.
I say we argue about this stuff because we can, not because there is any real reason other than our opinions.
anybody looking to buy some nice golf clubs?

No chill may be able to be thrown in there as well?

Maybe since the secondary/long primary thing is so old to me, but I think No chill Vs Quick Cooling/racking to fermenter (Traditional) is more interesting to me, as an example of new ways vs traditional ways of doing things. That is only what a year or two old since Jamil (or Chris Colby) wrote it up in BYO magazine? The long primary thing is so 5 years ago for a lot of us.

The long primary thing is so 5 years ago for a lot of us.

Leave it to Revvy to stop arguing about whether or not to secondary and instead argue about whether arguing about it is outdated. :mug:

He's going to want multiple examples in his thesis, and this can be one that has already fully run its course as compared to no chill which has more recently been debated.

How about Protein Rests (or any multiple-step mashes) v. Single infusion with the Modern highly-modified malts?

How about Protein Rests (or any multiple-step mashes) v. Single infusion with the Modern highly-modified malts?

Shall we start a debate on whether people even KNOW the degree of the modification of their grain since they aren't buying full sacks? :D

No one is debating extract vs AG.

Extract good vs bad, maybe. No one has said AG is bad to my recollection.

Debates usually involve widely used practices that people question.

Plastic + hot liquid - good/bad

garden hose - leaches lead/I do it and I'm OK

Glass fermenter - Better than plastic/deadly

Bubbles in the airlock vs hydrometer as an indicator of fermentation. :eek:

Shall we start a debate on whether people even KNOW the degree of the modification of their grain since they aren't buying full sacks?

Well its all highly modified unless it says it isn't. Go ahead and debate it...........its not 1989 anymore.

Not listening to or taking Revvy's advice

I really wanted to say this earlier, but I bit my tongue. Its not that he has bad advice, he just gives it out with this attitude of "your problems are not special, nor are you"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back