Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most annoying thing that happens to me over and over again is the reluctance ro try my beers. Once agreed upon, however I almost always get a "hay that's actually good!" and the beer disappears. Still, there is this idea for most that it's inferior to do it at home.

At the request of the groom, I took a cooler full of homebrew (Belgian dark strong at that) to his wedding last weekend. The compliments were overshadowed by the very apparent shock (from those that had never tasted homebrew) that it was drinkable and even tasted good.

I'm not sure what they were expecting. Maybe that I would haul some undrinkable swill 350 miles through 4 states.

Clueless: "I don't like those dark beers!"
Me: "You can brew any type of beer you like!"
Clueless: "Yeah, but I just don't like them strong like that."
Me: "There's a 7-11 on the corner..."

For some reason I have been hit with a variation of "What do you do with the grain when you're done" by the last 4 or 5 people I talked to about AG Beer.

"Man, that'd be great for hogs" - Where the hell would I keep a hog?
"Oh Wow, you could totally feed that to chickens if you had some" - /smh
"Can you grind that down for flour now that you're done" - ?????

After that there are more than a few variations on "wow, this tastes great, you should open a brewery." No thanks, I like having a hobby not a second job :)

For some reason I have been hit with a variation of "What do you do with the grain when you're done" by the last 4 or 5 people I talked to about AG Beer.

After that there are more than a few variations on "wow, this tastes great, you should open a brewery." No thanks, I like having a hobby not a second job :)

I found a new local CSA that is starting to grow all kinds of vegetables. They come by every other week to pick up my buckets of spent grain and use it for composting. I also trade them some beers and I just get random boxes of fresh vegetables.

Im not quite advanced enough to be a vegan though

How does everyone respond to the "What sort of styles do you like to brew" question after you say you are a homebrewer?

I waffle between "I brew whatever happens to catch my fancy while reading articles about a beer styles". Or I go back to "Mostly German and Belgian style beers with a smattering of American styles".

Either one produces the trademark :confused: face.

I tell him I brew beer and he tells me that isn't legal... yeah I had to get him to get his boss out because he didn't believe me it was legal and he wanted to arrest me!

Almost getting arrested, yeah that's pretty annoying ... if there was a Tazer involved I would say you win.

How does everyone respond to the "What sort of styles do you like to brew" question after you say you are a homebrewer?

I waffle between "I brew whatever happens to catch my fancy while reading articles about a beer styles". Or I go back to "Mostly German and Belgian style beers with a smattering of American styles".

I always smile and say "I'm a Belgian guy." Most folks seem to understand what that means (or they are good actors).

I usually tell people, "I don't use refrigeration or heating, so I brew whatever's in season. Lagers in the winter, saisons in the summer, ales in the spring and fall."

Whenever I mention future brewing plans when I happen to be over, mom keeps asking me "What are you DOING with all that beer?!" And I patiently explain, AGAIN, the mathematics of ~50 12oz per 5 gallon batch and 2 beers a day plus like a quarter of the batch given away to friends and family or brought to parties. :rolleyes: (Plus, you know, having choices for any given day...)

And occasionally comments that she keeps expecting my apartment to contain a giant stainless steel or copper tank, like at Sudwerks. Because apparently some part of "5 gallon batches" is unclear. :smack:

I tell my mom I just piss it away

We recently moved into a small subdivision (13 houses in the middle of a cherry orchard in Northern Michigan) and while cleaning the garage one day, one of the moms from the neighborhood came by to introduce herself.

After a few pleasantries, she sees my burner and propane tank.

Her: "I've been telling my husband to get a heater like that for when he's working outside in the winter."

Me: "Oh. That's actually a burner for homebrewing."

Her: "My husband is a police officer."

Me: "..."

We recently moved into a small subdivision (13 houses in the middle of a cherry orchard in Northern Michigan) and while cleaning the garage one day, one of the moms from the neighborhood came by to introduce herself.

Her: "I've been telling my husband to get a heater like that for when he's working outside in the winter."

Tell her, "with that burner and a pot of oil I could fry him up some doughnuts."

if it was me, I'd be all, "Happy whatthefloccisyourpoint?" or, "Ill float you some of my best beer if you don't tell him."

At the request of the groom, I took a cooler full of homebrew (Belgian dark strong at that) to his wedding last weekend. The compliments were overshadowed by the very apparent shock (from those that had never tasted homebrew) that it was drinkable and even tasted good.

I'm not sure what they were expecting. Maybe that I would haul some undrinkable swill 350 miles through 4 states.

Yeah so many more people are learning about what great beer tastes like now. The paradigm has shifted from fizzy yellow watery beer to something that's not "that" anymore.

A few years ago if you handed somebody a snifter of a Belgian Quad and they'd turn their nose up because it was dark. God forbid if it wasn't watery and slightly sweet. It had to be see through.

Them: "Hey you brew beer, do you know Scott (last name)?"

Me: "...Yes, but not all homebrewers know each other. Do you know all the other Polish people in town?"

This has happened at least three times with the same person referenced. :tank:

And everyone in town knows that Scott is a homebrewer so you should, too. Wait, turns out you DO.

I think the consensus is that it would be funnier if you don't know Scott. Please revise and get back to us. :)

I have to say, the last few times I've told someone I homebrew, it's gone really well.

-When we moved to town, I conversationally told our pastor, and he now tries a bottle out of all my new batches.

-I was at a meeting with the business development manager from a credit union, along with the local branch manager, and we ended up talking about homebrew half the time. Turns out the branch manager is a fan, and the development officer's husband is a brewer. Now I owe them bottles if they come to a charity golf outing.

-I just told a coworker today, and he talked about having the kit to brew but not having gotten around to actually doing it yet.

I'm 3 for 3 in the last year. There's a lot of chumps out there, but it sure feels like there's been a paradigm shift.

Yeah so many more people are learning about what great beer tastes like now. The paradigm has shifted from fizzy yellow watery beer to something that's not "that" anymore.

A few years ago if you handed somebody a snifter of a Belgian Quad and they'd turn their nose up because it was dark. God forbid if it wasn't watery and slightly sweet. It had to be see through.

I've stopped trying to convince people that good beer should actually have flavor. But it's nice when occasionally a BMC drinker will try a quality brew and be surprised that there is more to the beer world than they imagined.

I get tired of hearing the old adage "You know you can just go down to the store and pick up a 6 pack of beer and drink it right now right? Not have to wait months to drink it."

It doesn't help that my SWMBO did wine and it takes her less than 45 minutes to make a 5 gallon batch of wine in the fermentor and chugging along. She loves to tell anyone I tell I'm going to have a brew day, "And he literally means AAAALLLL DAAAAAY... It takes him like 7 hours to brew beer..."

So that's I guess what annoys me lol

I've stopped trying to convince people that good beer should actually have flavor. But it's nice when occasionally a BMC drinker will try a quality brew and be surprised that there is more to the beer world than they imagined.

Speaking of flavor....

My tongue is bittered out.

Just had a 4, 4oz sampler flights of....

Green Flash Brewing, West Coast IPA, 8.1%, 95 IBU

Stone Brewing Co., Ruination 2.0, 8.5% IIPA, 100 IBU

Sierra Nevada, Hoptimum IIPA, 10.4%, 100 IBU

Brickstone Brewing, APA, 6.25% It's like does this have hops?

I get tired of hearing the old adage "You know you can just go down to the store and pick up a 6 pack of beer and drink it right now right? Not have to wait months to drink it."

It doesn't help that my SWMBO did wine and it takes her less than 45 minutes to make a 5 gallon batch of wine in the fermentor and chugging along. She loves to tell anyone I tell I'm going to have a brew day, "And he literally means AAAALLLL DAAAAAY... It takes him like 7 hours to brew beer..."

But then she's racking and degassing and doing chemical and maybe oak additions for the next several months and then bottling and waiting another several months for the wine to mature before it's ready. Your brewday's longer, but your total hands-on time in the brew is probably about the same as hers and yours is ready after only a month while she's waiting many times that to sample the fruits of her labor.

That said, get a chiller or a nice no-chill container. You've mentioned waiting forever for the ice bath before; that's why your brew days take seven hours.

Speaking of flavor....

My tongue is bittered out.

Just had a 4, 4oz sampler flights of....

Green Flash Brewing, West Coast IPA, 8.1%, 95 IBU

Stone Brewing Co., Ruination 2.0, 8.5% IIPA, 100 IBU

Sierra Nevada, Hoptimum IIPA, 10.4%, 100 IBU

Brickstone Brewing, APA, 6.25% It's like does this have hops?

That's what I call market research.

Oh you brew beer? Can you make anything good? Like can you make bud light?

I can make your hole in your head that you call a mouth swell shut faster than an oyster...

I have dried and ground some spent grains for beer bread. Adds another layer of flavor people don't expect.

I carry a pistol openly... he knew I was armed and he didn't push. The sheriff got to my house, greeted me by name, told the deputy he was an idiot and to trust me. I have shot with most of the sheriff's crew... this was a new deputy and I guess he is still getting grief for bugging me. My sheriff is a member of the Constitutional Sheriffs Association... very pro gun which the deputy was trained on. Most in my area go armed, typically if we need a deputy they are 30 minutes away so we self police.

Almost getting arrested, yeah that's pretty annoying ... if there was a Tazer involved I would say you win.

I just remembered that my grandmother would always say something along the lines of "All that fuss just for a little stinking beer, wouldn't you rather make candy?" To which I'd invariably reply "Well, I didn't feel the inclination to become Willy freaking Wonka, so I took up homebrewing instead!"

Ditch her now, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!jk

I gave a neighbor two bottles of cider yesterday. One at 5% and one at 8.5%.

I asked them what they thought. Both girls. They said they were ok but they don't like beer.

I said, well it's not beer is cider, or fermented apple juice. Like or very similar to apple wine.

She's like it was ok it did taste little like wine.

Both were aged cider, 2 and 3 years old. The cleanest and most crisp cider. They were kegged for a year then bottled from the keg back in January.

Now I know why my buddy always says. "Hogs can't wear rolex's".

Back