Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I told someone that I started homebrewing as a hobby.

His response, "Oh so you drink that much, huh?" He was serious, and he's not really a good friend that I can correct him. I tried explaining that I don't drink a lot at all, but it was no use. The conversation turned to alcoholism and I regretted saying anything.

So I learned to choose wisely who I tell that I started homebrewing lol.

Yesterday I told someone that I started homebrewing as a hobby.

His response, "Oh so you drink that much, huh?" He was serious, and he's not really a good friend that I can correct him. I tried explaining that I don't drink a lot at all, but it was no use. The conversation turned to alcoholism and I regretted saying anything.

So I learned to choose wisely who I tell that I started homebrewing lol.

That is one of those times I find the best appropriate exit strategy is to just say "Thank you" and walk away.

I think next time this person says something about baking cookies you should start talking about diabeetus.

I guess that i haven't had an annoying response yet, tho i think the closest that I got came from my family......but that is to be expected. When you tell your mom that your making gallons of beer at home, well, the conversation will usually flow into the territory of "your an alcoholic!"

most people just find it awesome and ask for a pint. I'm usually more than happy to share one lol

I guess that i haven't had an annoying response yet, tho i think the closest that I got came from my family......but that is to be expected. When you tell your mom that your making gallons of beer at home, well, the conversation will usually flow into the territory of "your an alcoholic!"

most people just find it awesome and ask for a pint. I'm usually more than happy to share one lol

Yeah, I get crap from some of my wife's family about my brewing. Not directly, they know better. But little snide remarks to my wife when I'm not around.

:rolleyes:

Is that legal? Can it make you sick? Will it get you drunk? Is there alcohol in it? Then there are people that keep a distance like it will give them a disease if it doesn't have a commercial label on it or something. And God forbid if they see the yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

Yeah,I've noticed that some people have trouble understanding the concept of the pour from bottle carbonated beers. They're so used to filtered fizz water that real,naturally carbonated bottled beers escapes them.

A nice fellow who primarily drinks BMC was tasting some of my beer at a party and presented me with what he clearly felt was a great compliment, "This tastes as good as some beers I've had from a store."

A sister-in-law was recently over for a Christmas party and wished to have something from the kegerator. She told me she normally drinks "Coors Light. Do you have something like that?"

"Uh...well, this German pilsner here is what Coors Light gradually devolved from, so here's a sample. If you want something light, I've got a little brown ale which is low cal and only 3% alc."

She ended up liking the little brown a little.

People just don't know better, so I try not to be annoyed but just laugh quietly and a little sadly.

My biggest pet peeve is when somebody tries my homebrew, and they say nothing at all. Maybe all my beer sucks and they're trying to be polite, but I think between my wife and I we have a pretty good palette.

And when I ask how they like it? "It's good." This happens even after I explain a little about the style, or flavors they should be looking for!

My biggest pet peeve is when somebody tries my homebrew, and they say nothing at all.

This.
If my beer sucks, I genuinely want to know about it.
It's in their best interest to let me know too...I might try to give them some again :drunk:

Well, I'm breaking tradition here a bit in this thread and posting a very positive experience. We were invited to a neighborhood holiday party the week before Christmas, so, back in early November, I brewed up 5 gallons of my House Amber that I brew. It's a little hoppy, a little malty, but over all a pretty good beer to introduce someone into homebrew. The hose had been to my house a couple of times and it was his suggestion that I bring some homebrew.

So, I split the batch between my two 2.5 gallong kegs I have. The one I put on gas and got it carbed up for the party. Initially I was a little nervous bringing a whole 2.5 gallons to the party. It was a weeknight, family oriented, so I wasn't sure if that was going to be too much for this situation.

Turns out, my fears were unfounded. I was really kind of surprised. Everyone who came to the party was anxious to try it. Most responses were, "wow, this is homebrew, this is really good." Now, it could have easily been the convenience of the mini keg, with the tap just sticking out of it, but when another good friend from the neighborhood finally arrived about an hour after I did, he couldn't wait to try the homebrew. He got one glass, then it kicked.

Everyone kept coming up to me the rest of the night asking if I had another keg of that beer, it was really good. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm really not trying to brag about my beer. It's more that I'm just so used to the majority of people I meet being BMC drinkers, that usually you get the obligatory, "Um, yeah, it's OK, I like my light beer though." It was a really nice change of pace to see people enjoying a beer that wasn't your typical mass appeal party beer.

Amen! Had that experience last christmas. Now i have a different relative each family get together who tells me what he/she would like and what i should brew for the whole family. Great way to hear people ideas and to let then taste exactly what they want. Awesome feeling!

I got an interesting one today. I was called a hipster. The reason I brought up brewing beer was because I asked if they had another beer in stock because I said I wanted to do a clone but wanted to be able to compare it. The guy said "oh hipster huh?"

If you've met me you'd pretty much know hipster doesn't really describe me. There are a lot of other words to use, but not hipster.

Friend: You should make me some! Make it strong too!

Me:No problem, what style of beer do you like?

Friend:I'll drink anything! Bud Light, Coors Light, Mich Ultra, but I really love Select 55!

Me:Tell you what! I'll grab some vodka, dilute it with water, throw in a little yellow food coloring and put it through my soda stream machine for you.

Friend: F*** off dude...lol

I haven't gotten any annoying responses yet (except from my mother, who thinks alcohol is the devil). Most people just seem really surprised - I look nothing like the "typical" Colorado homebrewer.

"It tastes like beer" by my girlfriend to every beer I have made.. Guess its a compliment, sort of!

necro-reply here, but I'm reading through the thread and this one struck a note with me. That is my girlfriend's response to any beverage containing alcohol that isn't at least 95% sugar.

Here's the rundown of various things I've introduced her to in order to find out what she likes:
Boddingtons? Yuck! Tastes like beer. That's all.
Wexford? Yuck! Tastes a little less like beer, but still mostly beer.
Blue moon? Tastes like beer.
Shock top? Slightly sweet, but tastes like beer.
Dry apple cider? Still tastes like beer.
Only slightly dry apple cider? Good, but still has a kind of beer taste.
Cloyingly sweet ciders, moscatos, white zin's and rosés? This is really good!
Chocolate milkshake with probably a half shot of liqueur? ZOMFG THIS IS AWESOME!

Lol Danath, that's my wife right there. I made her a fuzzy naval from fresh sqeezed tangerines and she almost jumped my bones right there in the kitchen. In front of all our friends.

Whenever somebody sees more than one carboy fermenting/conditioning, or when I talk about adding a third keg to my small keezer...

'Do you really NEED that much beer?!?'

...as if adding a third tap means I'm drinking 50% more than I was with only 2 taps...

Probably doesn't help when I answer 'YES!'

Lol Danath, that's my wife right there. I made her a fuzzy naval from fresh sqeezed tangerines and she almost jumped my bones right there in the kitchen. In front of all our friends.

fuzzy navel, eh? I'll keep that in mind...

I see a lot more fuzzy navals in your wife's future. You may wish to lock the doors before giving them to her, however.:ban:

Like clonefan94, I'll break with the tradition of this thread a little. Generally I don't get a lot of annoying responses because, frankly, I'm not very good at sharing.

That said, one of my sisters-in-law really wants to like my beer. She sees how much passion and energy I put into it, and wants to appreciate it. She really isn't a drinker, and when she does drink beer, it is typically Coors Lite or Corona Light (sigh, not even regular Corona). But she does try. I've given her the full range, from dark and malty and sweet, to light and hoppy. Every time, I get the same disappointed face. To her credit, I'm not sure if she's disappointed that she doesn't like it, or that she has to tell me she doesn't like it.

I did finally, last summer, hit a home run with a light summer saison. She loved it. And got drunk off one glass.

necro-reply here, but I'm reading through the thread and this one struck a note with me. That is my girlfriend's response to any beverage containing alcohol that isn't at least 95% sugar.

Here's the rundown of various things I've introduced her to in order to find out what she likes:
Boddingtons? Yuck! Tastes like beer. That's all.
Wexford? Yuck! Tastes a little less like beer, but still mostly beer.
Blue moon? Tastes like beer.
Shock top? Slightly sweet, but tastes like beer.
Dry apple cider? Still tastes like beer.
Only slightly dry apple cider? Good, but still has a kind of beer taste.
Cloyingly sweet ciders, moscatos, white zin's and rosés? This is really good!
Chocolate milkshake with probably a half shot of liqueur? ZOMFG THIS IS AWESOME!

Reminds me of the evening I went all out to create a mint julep my wife would appreciate. I started with Makers Mark Bourbon, even though it's too smooth for me; I muddled fresh homegrown mint into homemade light Belgian candi syrup; I pounded the ice down to slushie consistency; and I served the results in one of the fanciest glasses we own.

So what was her response? "Well, it isn't that bad. But I can still taste the whiskey...."

Argghhh....:drunk:

I got that one last summer with the lawn care guys. 1 didn't care for them too much but the others liked them. They came back for more for a 4th of July bbq.

Reminds me of the evening I went all out to create a mint julep my wife would appreciate. I started with Makers Mark Bourbon, even though it's too smooth for me; I muddled fresh homegrown mint into homemade light Belgian candi syrup; I pounded the ice down to slushie consistency; and I served the results in one of the fanciest glasses we own.

So what was her response? "Well, it isn't that bad. But I can still taste the whiskey...."

Argghhh....:drunk:

I have pretty much given up trying to make special drinks for my lady. She is completely content with vodka sodas with limes that any time I try to add something different she doesn't even notice or care.

Back