Mosaic, Simcoe, Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arctic78

arctic78
Reaction score
I just tried a bottle of the last beer I brewed which was a 100% Vienna and simcoe ,citra & mosaic IPA. The beer turned out good I have to say but not so much to my liking. I have never brewed with Citra and mosaic and I have to say they most definitely give a huge tropical fruit flavour. The beer had an O.G. of 1.062 and F.G. of 1.012 mashed at 65 Celsius and I used BRY97 yeast at 19 Celsius. I FWH with Magnum then had additions , equal, of the other hops at 5min and 15min whirlpool at 85 Celsius then dry hopped 1oz each for 4 days. This is the first time I have used BRY97 and have to say after all I read I don't think it stripped hop flavour/aroma at all. I will say though I think the Simcoe was a waste in this beer using it in equal amounts to the other two hops as it is totally lost . Will try again with the same recipe but use larger amount of Simcoe and less of the others .
Not a huge fan of the full tropical fruit juice thing I like to have that bit of earthy spicy taste in my IPA'S .

Has anyone got a few tips on what type of ratio, through there own experience , to balance the hops better or should I cut either the mosaic or citra out of the recipe? any advise would be appreciated.

I have an APA on tap that used equal parts citra simcoe cascade and it's a wonderful blend of citrus and fruit with pine hints. I too prefer hoppy fruitiness as a compliment to citrus pine dank and other less fruity character. That said I've made and enjoyed all mosaic blondes and pale ales.

I'd add yearvto year these hops are changing, heck they're different field to field. I think one has to brew more than once with each batch of hops to fully comprehend what the beer will yield.

I think citra and mosaic together is just too much for my taste but I guess it is all part of learning what I like and don't like in my beers. I totally agree with what you said about the profile of the hope changing year to year . guesss I just have to find a balance

Thanks.

Hell no Its still beer and way cheaper than buying it. I will always drink beer:D

Latest posts

Back