Mosaic Melon Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratinator

Reaction score
I got my large shipment of farmhouse hops in and now I'm going to work to make some recipes. The German hull melon hop sounds amazing. I built this recipe around it. I think a light blonde ale is the key. This is what I brewed:

9lbs 2-row pale malt
.5lbs crystal 10
.5lbs cara-pils
.5lbs honey malt
Mash @152F

.25oz columbus (60mins)
Whirfloc tablet (15mins)
1oz hull melon (10mins)
1oz hull melon (5mins)
1oz hull melon (1mins whirlpool for 15mins)
1oz hull melon (dry hop 7 days)

Wyeast 1272

Punching into beersmith using farmhouse alpha acids
1.052 OG @ 5.18% abv
25.1IBUs

I would bitter with something clean like Warrior or Columbus (maybe 1/4 oz for 60 mins) and then throw all of the Hull Melon and Mosaic in at flameout, do a whirlpool, cover and let stand for 10-15 mins. Don't waste all those nice aromas with longer boil times! :) Also, Wyeast 1272 brings out more of the hop flavor and aroma in my opinion.

Cheers!

I took your suggestions and I made a few changes myself. I didn't wanna have to buy more yeast but I'll use the 1272 in a couple other recipes. I have some Columbus kicking around but when I added it to beersmith, even .25oz was too much so this is what I'm gonna settle on:

9lbs 2 row
.5lbs crystal 10
.5lbs cara-pils
.5lbs honey malt

.10oz Columbus (60mins)
1oz hull melon (15mins)
1oz hull melon (10mins)
1oz hull melon (5mins)

Wyeast 1272 yeast
21.6 IBUS
1.052 @ 5.18abv%

Hey,
Im in Germany and Im also fermenting a belgian ale.
70% Pilsner malt
15% wheat malt
10% wiener malt
5% caramel malt

1.056OG

cooked the hops for 60mins
12g huell melon 60min
12g perle 40min
20g huell melon 5 min

yeast: gozdawa belgian fruit and spicy yeast

Ill let you know how it turned out once its done.

Just finishing the boil as we speak. Again I made changes.

9lbs 2 row
.5lbs crystal 10
.5lbs cara-pils
.5lbs honey malt

152F @ 60mins

.25oz Columbus (60mins)
1oz hull melon (10mins)
1oz hull melon (5mins)
1oz hull melon (1min whirlpool for 15mins)

Wyeast 1272

EDITED first post to reflect this

What I don't understand is while draining my beer was very light in color like most blondes and remained quite light during the boil. Once I added most of my hops and whirlpool the color dropped heavily and now it's like an iced tea color. Anyone know why? The beer on the right is the hull melon

EDIT: after about 3 days the hull melon is back to its original color and actually lighter than the one on left. Still don't know why

View attachment 1430863112573.jpg

I transfered this to the keg and is now carbing. I didn't taste it, but soon as I pulled off the airlock on the secondary there was a huge sweet strawberry smell. Smelled amazing, I didn't get much melon. I used gelatin in the keg. Will posting tasting and picture results when in glass

That looks and sounds fantastic. I just dry hopped a Calypso/Hüll Melon American wheat that tasted incredible before I dropped the dry hops in. Really looking forward to seeing what comes of it.

Definitely let us know how it turned out!

All I gotta say is wow. This beer is fantastic. These hops are the real deal. Huge strawberry flavor with a bit of melon after taste. Being a blonde is nice and light. I'm glad I bought a pound of these because this beer is entering the rotation

View attachment 1434213688128.jpg

Nice!

I've got another 5-6 ounces of Hüll Melon left, and even though I've got quite a few beers planned coming up, I'm going to keep this recipe in mind!

I definitely need to make this for the swmbo. I think I'll do a split batch and toss some brett lochristi (yeast bay) into one of the fermenters. Lochristi also gives hints of strawberry and I like the idea of making a strawberry blonde without fruit or artificial flavoring.

I definitely need to make this for the swmbo. I think I'll do a split batch and toss some brett lochristi (yeast bay) into one of the fermenters. Lochristi also gives hints of strawberry and I like the idea of making a strawberry blonde without fruit or artificial flavoring.

That's how I felt. Being able to not have to buy fruit, freeze it, have to deal with a messy secondary and trying to correct the right amount can be a pain. Honestly I was hoping for a heavy melon with a touch of strawberry, but the flavors I got were the opposite.

Back