Morebeer plastic buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyebrewing

Reaction score
I bought 3 of there 6 gallon buckets with lids a while back to replace my aging ale pails. http://morebeer.com/view_product/16590//Plastic_Bucket_6_Gallon

Anyway, I first brewed a lager in one of them and there was really no airlock activity, which didn't really bother me as I have never done a lager before and figured they just weren't as violent as ale yeasts. It fermented fine and no issues. With the other two buckets I brewed a farmhouse and irish stout which clearly have a good fermentation going but again, the airlock doesn't even budge.

I guess my question is, is the lid not getting a good seal which is causing the CO2 to escape out the sides? Im not really worried about it since I know there is a layer of CO2 over the beer protecting it, but I wonder if anyone else has had this issue with Morebeer buckets?

Figured. I did the airlock hole with a step bit to the same size as the ale pale using the same grommets. Oh well, guess no long term aging in these guys

I have one of these too and noticed the lack of airlock activity. I called MoreBeer and they said that these lids do not make an airtight seal but that it is ok due to contaminants do not fall up through the gap. There is a disclaimer about this on the website.

I brought two new lids from my LHBS, which is an 45 drive away, that have gaskets in the lid.

I had exactly the same issue with the pails. I have the 7 gallon bucket from US plastics. They sell gasketed lids for them, and they are airtight too. Getting them off is hard though, without this little yellow lid opener tool I bought from AHS.

Yeah I use them - they do not seal at all. I make gaskets out of whatever is handy.

Back