More thermastat prob questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylo_k2008

Reaction score
Hey I have a chest small freezer kegorator, with probably an 8" collar.
I have a digital love thermostat with probe.

I have tried letting the probe in the air, as well as taping it to the side of one of the kegs, and I still don't feel like my beer is getting cold enough.

My kegorator currently has 2 - 1/4 kegs. I also have a usb computer fan running to move the air around. My questions -

1 - Is a love thermostat probe, safe to be placed in water?
2- Can I put the thermostat in Vodka, to provent liquid freezing?

I have had my kegorator for roughly 6 months now. Was thinking of putting the probe in a vodka filled pill bottle with a lid. and putting it on the bottom of the kegorator. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and if it will be safe for my thermostat. Let me know, thanks!

I don't know about the controller that you use, but I keep the probe of the STC-1000 that I use for my keezer in a jar of water with a small hole poked in the lid.

Since the desired result is cold beer instead of cold air, the probe should be attached to the side of the keg and be covered with some insulating material. If you've done that and your beer still isn't cold enough, the answer is a controller that doesn't do what it is supposed to or a limitation on the cooling ability of the freezer.

Its a chest freezer. It gets cold! I have wrapped the probe in bubble wrap and taped it to the side, but that didn't work. Is there any spot I am supposed to place the probe. I usually do it on the back of the keg, on the side closest to the back wall usually near the bottom of the keg. I guess my problem is more with foam, but I was thinking the temperature is why I am getting so much foam. I do have 7' of line and the kegorator is set at 36 degrees, and I know I don't have the co2 too high. Also I just let the probe hang in mid air, but I have froze a keg more then once. Like I mentioned I do have one fan as well

Back