Frozen mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunkleneil

Reaction score
I accidently froze a 1 gallon jug of mead. Put it in my keezer to try and cold crash but must have knocked the thermostat probe and my whole keezer froze. I took it out and it's thawing out. Is it still good. Not sure why it wouldn't be but thought I'd check

It'll be fine. It won't break down, separate, spoil, or any other bad thing while thawing. Just make sure that it doesn't suck in air as it thaws.
Thanks. I thought it would be.

Now if you pour off the alcohol that thaws first, you'll be cold distilling for a concentrated alcohol.

How does that taste?
Unfortunately the opening of the jug was too small to get under the ice. It's my first ever mead haven't even tasted it yet. Been sitting in secondary for 6 months. Was getting ready to back sweeten and bottle it to taste it .

I absolutely just froze 3 kegs of mead, one that was dark cherry too. I too was trying to cold crash but fell asleep during the process. The yeast just hadn't settled the other times I did it. I may have screwed the keg on sucking air in. We will see. I tried one keg tap and that's how i found out it was frozen. Some mead went into the line though so that means there was some positive pressure. I'm sure that stuff Is strong lol. I'll reply on taste and let yall know in a few hours.

Back