More hops or longer time for dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPK

Reaction score
So my first batch is a Brewers Spring Lager. I dry hopped with 1 oz of cascade for 1 week in a bag that floated at the top. It turned out well and am enjoying the beer but it is not very hoppy. Should I dry hop longer or more hops or both, on the next batch?
Thanks for the form it is great place to learn.

Although aroma can add to flavor perception, if you want hoppier beer, you'd need to up the boil additions. If you want to make this recipe again, maybe post the specifics and we can offer some suggestions. I don't know the kit you're using, but traditionally most lager styles are pretty low in terms of IBU.

:mug:

Also, try weighing the bag down with some sanitized marbles or some nuts or bolts tied to a string

Dry hop with more hops, not longer time. More than a week gets you nothing good and can cause some varieties to yield a grassy flavor. Many are reporting that they get all the good stuff out of a dry hop in only 3 days.

I agree with Captain Damage. I normally do 5 days and if you want more hop aroma you need to increase the quantity not the time, if you increase time you likely to get more unwanted flavours.

Also dry hopping temp. has an effect on how quickly the oils move to solution. If you was largering when you add the hops the hop aroma transfer to the beer will be much slower because the temp. is cooler . Normally I dry hop my ales at 21C.

Also some people suggest if you want a really big hop aroma to dry hop multiple times, say 1oz for 5 days, remove, 1oz for 5 days, remove, 1 oz for 5 days. This is more for IIPA thoughs not most normal ales. I don't know why this makes much of a difference but apparently it does.

OK more hops it is. After keeping the temp at 67 for 3 or 4 weeks is it ok to raise the temp for dry hopping?
Thanks

OK more hops it is. After keeping the temp at 67 for 3 or 4 weeks is it ok to raise the temp for dry hopping?
Thanks

Certainly.

One of the things that strikes me is that the beer is already four weeks old before dryhopping? By a month in the fermenter, much of the hops aroma from the boil additions will be fading. If you're bottling after additional time in the fermenter due to the dryhopping at that time, it could be that much of the hops flavor and aroma will be dissipating before bottling.

That's fine for lagers and other non-hoppy beers- but if you're looking for hops aroma and flavor then more dryhops should be added to counteract that.

^^ That aways makes me wonder what is the point of aroma additions in the boil, especially in styles lie APA and IPA.

Back