More bulk hop advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dale1038

Reaction score
Getting 1# each of...

Hersbrucker
Magnum
Willamette

...and was thinking cascade and centennial.

I make Lagers and will be making APA's and IPA's as well. I was thinking of trading in centennial for amarillo. This way I could sub cascades for centennial and have another hop on hand. I've never used amarillo. I do like centennial IPA's though....oh good god, somebody just make the decision for me!

My favorite hop is Columbus (aka Tomahawk), so I'd load up on these (commercial example: Pyramid Thunderhead IPA). Cascade is a must -just like having your basic 2 row in your inventory...

All I can say is...HOPS DIRECT! I buy all my hops there and they always send about 2-3 oz. more than the pound I order/pay for. They are awesome to work with. Best prices by far! I think I have something like 14 lbs. in the freezer now.

All I can say is...HOPS DIRECT! I buy all my hops there and they always send about 2-3 oz. more than the pound I order/pay for. They are awesome to work with. Best prices by far! I think I have something like 14 lbs. in the freezer now.

I'm assuming thats where he is ordering from...4 lbs of pellet ship in 1 med flat rate box ($10.40)

I'm having the same problem...
ordering 4#'s

can't decide btw amarillo and cascades...:drunk:

I find that I prefer amarillo over cascade. I would stick with centennial. I just bottled an all centennial brew and it is going to be delicious.

3rd the amarillo preference, but I'd take your time with the decision, theres a coupon code in their newsletter and floating around here for 5% off all orders at hopsdirect in April so I'd wait a few more days.

3rd the amarillo preference, but I'd take your time with the decision, theres a coupon code in their newsletter and floating around here for 5% off all orders at hopsdirect in April so I'd wait a few more days.

I'm doing exactly that. I'll place my order on April 1. Granted, the 5% will only save me $2, but hey, that's 1/2 oz. of hops at the LHBS. :)

I'm going with 1 lb each of:
Amarillo
Columbus
Fuggles
Willamette

I hope to get a good harvest of Centennial off my plants this year so I'm not planning to buy any even though I love them!

If you want to get a sense of Amarillo hops for your next bulk hop purchase, check out Boulder Beer's Mojo IPA, which features Amarillo and Centennial only.

I went with: (to go with ~.5lb each of cenntenial and hallertau in the freezer)

1#Tetteneger
1#Magnum
1#Cascades
1#Willamette

I saw the coupon but need it asap to fill up the primarys while i have time off :)

$1.80 to get it a week earlier is cool with me

The other great thing about buying hops in bulk is that you won't hesitate as much to do ridiculous things like brew a 5 gal batch with 12 oz. of hops!

Exactly. I made a IIPA with a lb of hops for 3.5 gallons. I used 9 oz dry hopping which took my beer from being 4.5 gal to 3.5 gal. All of that sludge killed me. yeah so i have never hesitated using hops when ordering in bulk. Saves you so much money. I have been using hops since their blowout sale in early oct. I still have half of my inventory and I desperately need to use them. So there is no hesitation in dry hopping.

Back