Hbc hops recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I'm just wanting some help making some decisions. I have 6, 8oz packs of various hbc exp hops from YVH. I was originally planning to do a series of single hop pales, but I'm thinking about making some various combinations instead. What do you think I should do? I was thinking of using 6oz per beer for 6 pale ales and then using the remaining 2oz for a bigger IPA for the hbc finale beer. But some seem like they'd be good combos with each other, just trying to make a decision for future beers. What do you think?

I like trying new hop varieties as well. I've been disappointed with some of them with a single hop pale, although that is a great way to get a feel for that particular cultivar. Instead of throwing 2 or 3 unknowns together, I've lately been adding the new hop to a tried and true one, such as Citra or Mosaic (or Columbus for some dank).

The flavor contribution of the new hop is usually easy to pick out, and the beer is overall better with a greater depth and complexity. Sometimes the description, which often seems to be too good to be true, just ain't true to my palette. But, I've rolled the dice with different combinations with success as well. I think you should do whatever you think will be more fun :) .

I like trying new hop varieties as well. I've been disappointed with some of them with a single hop pale, although that is a great way to get a feel for that particular cultivar. Instead of throwing 2 or 3 unknowns together, I've lately been adding the new hop to a tried and true one, such as Citra or Mosaic (or Columbus for some dank).

The flavor contribution of the new hop is usually easy to pick out, and the beer is overall better with a greater depth and complexity. Sometimes the description, which often seems to be too good to be true, just ain't true to my palette. But, I've rolled the dice with different combinations with success as well. I think you should do whatever you think will be more fun :) .
Yeah, I've been throwing this idea around too. I've got a pound of Strata and a pound of el dorado that might be fun to mix them in with.

I've gone way overboard with the YVH sales over the past year or so I have way too many hops and want to get through them but not waste them on meh beer just to use them up.

I would make several smallish, 2-3 gallon batches using a combo of 2 of your new hops for each. Go by their descriptions and flavor/aroma profile to select a suitable or interesting looking combination.

For example, if you want to brew Pale Ales or IPAs you could make a larger stock batch bittered to 30-50 IBU for example, without late or whirlpool hops. Then finish each 2-3 gallon sub-batch using one of those unique combinations of your new hops. A small dry hop could add a nice finishing touch of their unique flavor/aroma. For some a bolder approach may be suitable.

Back