Moonshine Malt Liquor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unferth

Reaction score
I've done a couple of the kits from Northern Brewer, and by and by I've been mighty satisfied. However, I had never seen anything like this before:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...lt-liquor-extract-kit-w-specialty-grains.html

Now, don't get me wrong; I'm not opposed to white lightning in the least, even the legal stuff you get down in the States is OK. but combining it with a light lager? I'm shivering to think about it.

anybody done something like this?

The ingredients from the Kit Instructions:

SPECIALTY GRAIN
-
1 lbs Briess Carapils
FERMENTABLES
-
2 lbs Rice Syrup Solids (60 min)
-
1 lb Pils DME (60 min)
-
3 lbs Pils DME (15 min)
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
-
1 oz German Hersbrucker (60 min)
SPECIAL INGREDIENTS
-
6–12 oz White Whiskey (not included) (add to secondary)
YEAST
-
Dry Yeast (default): Saflager W-34

Well I have not put whiskey in a "malt liquor" that I made but I did make a high alcohol light ale and dyed it purple for my friend. Kinda dumb but he wanted to do it so I said what the hell. Actually was drinkable for 12 percent of nothing good. Curious of what others have to say haha.

There is nothing wrong with combining beer with distilled products as long as you are not distilling it yourself.

This is not something I would be into but......

Similar; Bourbon Barrel Porter: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/BourbonBarrelPorter.pdf

Ah, see now that is a different animal all together. I LOVE bourbon porters and the like if they are done well. A well balanced, thick, smokey malty beer with a sweet vanilla bourbon aged for a few months---HELL yes.

This seems different, however.

It's nothing more than a way to make a very high ABV lager, since many lager yeast won't tackle a true beer like this. I occasionally add a shot of Bacardi Lemon to a 12 oz Corona if I'm out and this is a similar concept, but on a bigger scale.

Side note, I bought the kit added 1lb of Vienna Malt and used US-05. Best summer beer to date and I will be making it again. I skipped the shine' lol

Side note, I bought the kit added 1lb of Vienna Malt and used US-05. Best summer beer to date and I will be making it again. I skipped the shine' lol

I thought it looked like a good beer sans hooch. I'd be really interested to hear tasting notes with shine

I thought it looked like a good beer sans hooch. I'd be really interested to hear tasting notes with shine

I just opened the first couple of these after 1 month in the primary and then 2 weeks in the bottle. I like it. A sample when bottling had two separate flavors in the beer and the moonshine...but after carbing and blending, my wife and I both like it. It has a great mouth feel and seems quite light and easy to drink, even at a bit over 6%ABV.

Hey guys, my name is Rachel and I work for a TV production company in NYC. We are developing a new show about southern traditions, and we are looking for people (especially females) with knowledge and/or family connection to moonshine. Anyone interested or wanting more information- feel free to email us at [email protected], or Facebook us at Courtney Maglione-Casting

Back