Monster Mill (MM-3) Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I hooked up an old 3/8" Skil drill (3 amps) to my new MM-3. It initially catches the grain and then stalls, then starts spinning freely without drawing in any more grain.

Is this likely due to lack of power (indicated by the initial stall), or a too-small gap?

Regarding gap adjustments (I'm initially aiming for 0.045"), I adjust the rollers on either end until they just pinch the feeler gauge, then tighten the thumb screws. This leaves the gap tight enough that inserting the gauge will turn the rollers. Is this the correct way to do it, or am I setting it too tight?

Thanks!

Once I actually got my 3/8" to crush with my MM3, it would smoke before the end of the grain bill. Don't waste time trying to fit that drill with your mill, IMO. First couple brews it took about 45 mins to figure out how to finish the crush and I thought I'd have to abort the brew session. Lame....

Now my MM3 is powered by 100 in-Lb of torque with a 1/3 HP motor. Works great.

Thanks, I did check that before I posted. It doesn't specify how powerful the drill needs to be. It does suggest that widening the gap might help, but for efficiency reasons I'm hesitant to go much higher than the default 0.045" -- hence my question about whether I'm using the feeler gauges correctly.

Motorizing it isn't a real option for me; I think either a new drill or the hand crank will be the way to go.

Yes, you are setting the gap correctly with the feeler gauge. It should be snug with no side-to-side wobble. My gauge spins the rollers as well. 1/2" hammer drill works my MM-2 great.

Back