Monster mill setup for all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I have been using a NB Hullwrecker for a few years, easy to set up, and using credit card width gap. Yesterday someone I know gave me 4 corny kegs, co2 tank w/regulator and what I expected to be a regular 2 roller mill for free. When I unloaded it from the truck and saw how big it was I looked closer and it was a monster mill 3 with the hopper extensions. I was like WHOA I had wanted one but could not justify the expense. My wife teased me I was like a little kid at christmas time.

What should I do first, clean it and if so how? Looking at the instruction video it sounds like I need feeler gauges and need to take it apart each time to set up the gap and what is it with this mineral oil?

I want to set it up for biab but does not sound as easy to do as my current 2-roller mill and the credit card spacing.

You might be overthinking it. It's a nicer version of what you already have. Set it the same way and tighten it down, it should stay. Lube once in a while since it has bearings. If the person who used it isn't a jerk then it's probably only ever had grain in it. Wipe it down and blow it off if you can and it might be ready to go.

The guy who had it is a mechanical engineer and uses tools for their intended purpose so grain is all that would have been run through it. Sounds like I will blow it out, wipe it down and then maybe just put some grain in it and run it and see what the crush looks like. Might be better then taking it apart to measure things.

Yeah, there's a decent chance it's already set perfectly as well. Measure it of course but maybe don't be surprised if it's already there.

Funny, I'm a Mechanical engineer and I often find strange new purposes for tools. But, yeah, for a grain mill, it'd just get grain in it.

Used the mill for the first time last night. had my new low speed dewalt on it. Was nice to put all 11.4# of grain in the hopper vs having to start and stop to reload the hopper.
Man that thing is a beast. Once it started crushing I was able to easily keep the drill at a low speed and the crush went quickly. I never changed a setting from previous owner and hit my numbers and the wort drained from the bag without a lot of squeezing.

Latest posts

Back