Monster Mill help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
I have a MM-3. I'm having trouble with the grain (US 2 row) not getting pulled through the rollers. The grain just spins between the rollers, almost like the knurls aren't grabbing the kernels. I understand the top two rollers have a fixed gap so I can't adjust that. The rollers free spin so I'm sure it's mounted to the board squarely. I'm using a 1/2" corded drill to power the mill. Any thoughts?

Is it brand new? I don't mean to offend but are you running the drill the correct direction? The only things I can think of is the knurls are worn or you are running the drill the wrong direction. The fixed gap is 0.060 which should facilitate moving grain between the rollers.

Is it brand new? I don't mean to offend but are you running the drill the correct direction? The only things I can think of is the knurls are worn or you are running the drill the wrong direction. The fixed gap is 0.060 which should facilitate moving grain between the rollers.

I did exactly this. It took about 5 minutes and a slight temper tantrum before I realized.

Yup, brand new and turning the proper direction. I'll pick up a feeler gauge just to double check the gap.

Good tip, thanks. I tried it again today. If I start the drill before dumping the grain it things seem to work fine. But I'm only testing it with 3-4 oz of grain at a time. When I use 25 lbs of grain for a Barleywine next week we'll see how things go.

I have the same mill and have all sorts of problems at any gap size if I condition my grain. I don't bother anymore, and now have no issues. A couple of other things to look at though - 1) make sure the gap is the same on both sides - the adjustment knobs do not necessarily end up in the same place, so you really do need to check both ends with a feeler gauge (or CC!). 2) check out the video below [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauHVc9Idr8[/ame] After following the video instructions very carefully (and not using conditioned grain) I no longer have issues and I've ground barley down to .020 (not recommended - just wanted to see how far I could get).

Be patient... It is painful/frustrating at times getting the MM3 dialed in but once you do it's a great mill.

I've done a couple test runs using 6-8 ozs of grain now and things seem to be working fine. Still not sure what's different now compared to before but its working so I won't complain. I do start my drill before dumping in the grain and it seems to suck the grain through just fine. Need to find a way to lock the trigger on at a low RPM so I don't have to manually squeeze it the entire time. Wish my drill was variable speed but it only has a 1 and 2 setting. Even on 1 fully squeezing the trigger is too high RPM so I have to go about half way.

Originally I had a 1.5" diameter circle opening where grain was leaving the hopper (an inverted 5 gallon water jug with the bottom cut off) and falling into the mill. In examining the crush I was seeing some grain kernels uncrushed. I think I was getting some spillage over the back side of the top two rollers. Thus some grain was falling behind the rollers and going uncrushed. I reduced the opening over the rollers to 1.0" diameter and that seems to have solved the problem.

Back