Monkfish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
I had to run an errand that took me right by a great fish market, so I stopped in. They had monkfish for a pretty reasonable price, so I grabbed a 3/4 lb piece.

Now I'm not sure what to do with it, so I thought I'd check with the pros.

I'd like to grill it. My gut tells me to cut it into two fillets, brush with olive oil and salt, then grill over medium direct heat until done. Sound okay, or is there something I'm totally missing? Anyone has a tried-and-true technique?

Thanks!

Anyone else read that linked post in Jacques' voice?

I picked up his memoir to read on a flight recently. (Highly recommended, btw) and he told an anecdote of his first screen test for TV. Producer said "Love the accent." He jokingly replied "Me? An accent?"

Ah-pee kew-king!

Found a Mark Bittman recipe that called for fresh cherry tomatoes (which I have in abundance right now) and bacon. Sold.

https://nytimes.com/2002/06/05/dining/the-minimalist-a-fish-that-takes-to-grilling.html

I got bacon from the neighborhood butcher and it was pretty thick. When the fish and tomatoes were ready, I had to disassemble everything and give the bacon some more time.

It all turned out really well. The fish was very, very good. Great texture, great flavor, and pretty darn forgiving. It does have a membrane on it that had to be removed, but it was pretty simple.

Here it is cooking over indirect heat because bacon.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1501807974.426280.jpg

Back