Mold on top of fermentor bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been using a wet towel wrapped around my bucket to help maintain a cool temperature and I noticed the other day there was a small amount of mold that had grown in some of the grooves on top of the lid. I don't see how it could have affected the inside because it's air tight but has anyone else had this issue?

You should be ok. Just make sure you clean the outside with sanitizer throughly before you open up for gravity readings/dry hopping/bottling and such.

What Queequeg said... This happened to me once before I started using damp rid in my fermentation chamber, only it was a lot of mold all over the top and side a bit. Anyway, I cleaned and sanitized it really well before popping the lid and it turned out fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Another way to keep your bucket cool is to get a much larger bucket like those metal wash tubs you can usually find at like home depot or Lowes. I have also used a plastic storage container which is nice because if you get one with a lid you can cut a hole in the middle and put it around your fermentor to seal the top. Place your bucket in that and put cool water around it.
This will help you be able to do two things.
1. It slows down the fluctuation of temperature because there is more liquid to cool around the bucket.
2. It allows you to put ice around the fermentation bucket if you need to drop the temperature more.

Thanks For the advice that sounds like a good idea. I would like to get a freezer type setup as well it's on the long list of items I want. Next is an all grain brewing setup

Thanks For the advice that sounds like a good idea. I would like to get a freezer type setup as well it's on the long list of items I want. Next is an all grain brewing setup

I'd recommend going with temperature control, i.e. the freezer and thermostat, before all grain. All grain will benefit from the temperature-controlled fermentation chamber.

I always spray the edge along my bucket tops and my fingers w/StarSan before I open the bucket to drain for transfer to bottling bucket.

Back