Mold in chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
I have two kegs in chest freezer:. One is a 10% imperial stout and the other is a 15% barleywine.

I see mold growing in the chest freezer along the walls and on top of the kegs. I also noticed that when I took the gas line off the kegs, I saw a few drops of beer come out of beer gas posts.

I tasted both beers and they seem like they taste different than what I am used to them tasting. What are the chances mold got into the kegs and infected the beers?

Honestly, short of egregiously poor handling, there's no way external mold can get into a dispensing system.
How many kegs have you dispensed from this freezer?

Make a very mild bleach and water mix and use it to wipe down everything in the freezer. Then look into ways to reduce the moisture inside the freezer...

Cheers!

Honestly, short of egregiously poor handling, there's no way external mold can get into a dispensing system.
How many kegs have you dispensed from this freezer?

Make a very mild bleach and water mix and use it to wipe down everything in the freezer. Then look into ways to reduce the moisture inside the freezer...

Cheers!
A couple of kegs or so. Is it possible that the gas line from the tank is infected with mold and it worked it's way into the beer gas post?

Get those neato moisture absorbers that you can periodically plug in to recharge. I can't wait to get a keezer so I have a reason to buy a couple of those. Super cool.

a ghetto but effective cheap option is to get those gel packs that come with food... bayou classic burners etc and throw those in there. Add in a wipe out with a towel every once in a while and they would fix your issue.

I hardly doubt it. Ever had anything moldy in the fridge? It didnt get air born and inflect every other item in the fridge, let alone something thats in a sealed container.... even if the sealed container had a small leak.

It is more likely that your picnic taps, lines or faucets have the mold on it to. You may be getting the flavor from mold in the taps. I'd clean everything up and disinfect. Clean the taps really well or if you have picnic taps, just get new ones with hoses. Good luck.

/cheers

If mold could get into your kegs gas and beer would be leaking out. If they seal the good stuff in they’ll seal the bad stuff out. You’re probably just tasting it because you expect to taste it.

a ghetto but effective cheap option is to get those gel packs that come with food... bayou classic burners etc and throw those in there. Add in a wipe out with a towel every once in a while and they would fix your issue.

Those are only good for a one time use. Need something you can dry out.

I tried the imperial stout again... And I don't think it tastes bad. You people are probably right... It was in my head. Or maybe I ate some just before I tried the beer last time that changed the preceived flavor.

Back