Modern Kitchen Coffin Keezer Build (Butcher Block Countertop)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johngg123

Reaction score
SWMBO agreed to let me build a keezer for the kitchen on the condition that it didn't look like it belonged in the garage. So the goal was to create a keezer that looked like it was part of the kitchen design from the beginning so I went with white cabinets and a butcher block counter top.

I took some nice shortcuts to keep the cost down including using a $20 1" Craft Master's pine slab from Lowes for the countertop, adding a skirt to make it look double thick. Build details below but first some final product shots...

With standard 3 tap intertap tower:

upload_2019-8-23_15-54-53.png

and a version with Chalkboard tap handles and LED strip... it wouldn't be a real coffin keezer without LEDs! ;) (I had to cut down the middle tap handle to fit.)

upload_2019-8-23_15-56-51.png

And the internals w/ 18' Bev Seal Ultra per tap, Coldpour 2 tower cooler

upload_2019-8-23_16-13-2.png

I got my hands on a free 10 year old 5 cft frigidaire chest freezer with some rare dimensions (internal 22" length x 16.5" width.) It had some nice depth compared to newer models. I was able to fit 3 kegs (1 ball, 2 pin) and a co2 tank w/ regulator (BARELY!) It is so tight that all the tubing has to be in the perfect spot to close the lid so it will be a little bit of pain to work with but worth it for having 3 taps in such a small spot. Plus it is in the kitchen I can refill the Soda Water keg with a long line of tubing directly from the filter water at the sink so one less keg to pull since I never clean that keg anyways.

Continued with the build....

THE BUILD

upload_2019-8-23_16-33-25.png

Collar and rolling base with casters. I put the casters on the bottom of the UPPER cross beams to try to keep the height down (final height of counter top is 43" !) Make sure to also place the caster as far inside on the 2x4 as possible so the caster doesn't swing out and hit the cabinet panels with moving.

upload_2019-8-23_16-34-0.png

Add foam board for insulation plus cheap-o weather stripping. The coffin lid will have a piece of foam board cut perfectly to slide into the base so the weather stripping is really just for a nice soft close. Foam board attached with silicone, then silicone in the joints.

upload_2019-8-23_16-39-23.png

upload_2019-8-23_16-39-44.png

upload_2019-8-23_16-40-21.png

The 24" x 36" x 1" laminated pine board ($22 @ lowes.) Will cut off 1" from the edges to create the skirt to make it look 2" thick, and keep the overall height down.

THE BUILD continued...

upload_2019-8-23_16-41-16.png

The 2x4 frame with a think cheap panel. Wood type and quality doesn't matter so much since I'll be painting it white. Was able to save a lot of money here. 8' x 4' panel was $15.

upload_2019-8-23_16-43-16.png

Cut out a hole for airflow. Might cover it with a nice grill but won't be able to see this side much due to placement next to wine fridge.

upload_2019-8-23_16-44-56.png

Back view. Panel attached with new super fun 18 gauge battery powered nail gun. :D

upload_2019-8-23_16-47-41.png

This is a completely FAUX cabinet using absolutely none of the woodworking skills that are typically employed in making cabinetry (skills of which I have none.) Since we are painting this thing with lots of glossy coats of white, I'm just using cheap MDF baseboards for the trim. Caulked the joints to look less ugly.

upload_2019-8-23_16-50-25.png

Too much fun with nail gun. Major pain to wood putty all those holes.

Nice build! Just an FYI though, that is not what is referred to as a "coffin", yours is simply a tower keezer/kegerator. The attached pic is an example of a "coffin".

:mug:

1F2t8EM.jpg

Very nice build sir.
Talk to me about that wine cooler.
How many bottles?
Who makes it?

Nice build! Just an FYI though, that is not what is referred to as a "coffin", yours is simply a tower keezer/kegerator. The attached pic is an example of a "coffin".

Okay I got it. I assumed coffin implied not putting the taps in the collar. Anyhow, I was planning on making a coffin tap box on top but decided with my woodworking skills it would look out of place with the design. So this was a coffin build until the last bit when I caved and bought a tower o_O

upload_2019-8-23_18-50-48.png

Cut 1" and glued. Nailed too.

upload_2019-8-23_18-58-56.png

Wood conditioner, natural stain and 3 coats of polyurethane

upload_2019-8-23_18-59-46.png

Painting. Definitely the hardest part of this project. 4 light coats of glossy white spray paint, 2 light coats of glossy clear.

upload_2019-8-23_19-2-29.png

Counter top was so light I could use some simple hinges.

Nicely done. Caulk is your friend. The technical term is “Line Straightening Compound”.

Back