Negra Modelo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone is talking a lot about Vienna malt, but Modelo's website calls Negra a "Munich Dunkel-style Lager" with "slow roasted caramel malts". Would it make more sense to start with Munich malt as your base and work in some caramel malts?

There is a misconception from some homebrewers and BJCP cloning it as a Vienna lager, since its inception Modelo has always been sold as Munich Dunkel. Their Mexican Vienna is the Modelo Ambar. I would say Negra Modelo is more akin to a Mexican Dunkel than a German Munich Dunkel.

Also Bohemia Noche Buena is highly underated.

Last edited:
So, a Munich Dunkel (or, I assume, any Dunkel) would be primarily Munich malt, right? I've never made such a beer, but I can "picture" it.

Maybe I should be forgetting about Pils vs. Vienna and be thinking Munich instead? Hmm. Interesting plot twist.

So, a Munich Dunkel (or, I assume, any Dunkel) would be primarily Munich malt, right? I've never made such a beer, but I can "picture" it.

Maybe I should be forgetting about Pils vs. Vienna and be thinking Munich instead? Hmm. Interesting plot twist.
I agree it's interesting, seems key notes from Modelo it has galena, super galena (must be extract), caramel malt, dark malt, two row and six row. I think it's a Mexican Dunkel as Shiner Bock is an American Bock.

Vienna lagers in Mexico varies between breweries as XX Ámbar or Indio, Tecate not so long ago released Tecate Ámbar, flavor profile wise it taste as an American lager with coloring. If you want a real tasty Mexican Vienna clone Bohemia Vienna.

Attachments

• 20221228_213930.png
    20221228_213930.png
    516 KB · Views: 0
  • OIP (1).jpeg
    OIP (1).jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
  • R (1).png
    R (1).png
    106.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I was starting to theorize 2-row was the Munich ( I suppose it *is* 2-row, just not what we homebrewers typically refer to as such). And 6-row perhaps to sort of ensure conversion, if they didn't think mostly Munich could do the job, or not sufficiently enough for them? Perhaps then some C40 or C60, and a pinch of chocolate being the rest of the listed ingredients?

I was going to use Galena, but it's high AA, and I wanted to have some hops later in the boil so I went w/ the lower AA options.

Munich malts are one of those it’s worthwhile to look up and run the calc. Some will self-convert, some won’t.

CaraMunich definitely won’t self-convert.

I think I read once that CaraMunich is not as sweet as a pure Crystal Malt of the same color, but also as Beernik says, its definitely not appropriate for a base malt.

Latest posts

Back