MLT conversion - more like perversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judochop

Reaction score
I attempted this:
http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/mashtun.html

But despite the author's assurance, Lowes' did not carry 3/4" washers in Stainless steel. I checked my local Ace, TrueValue, HomeDepot, Menards and nobody does.

So what I ended up doing was buying a 1/2" stainless steel flat washer, and boring out the hole to fit over the nipple. Wasn't easy or pretty, but it worked. But, the 1/2" washer has a much smaller OD than the 3/4" used in the instructions, and when I tightened the assembly together, I probably tightened more than I should have and the stainless washer and barbed piece were pulled into the wall of the cooler. Getting it out caused a bit of damage to the inner cooler wall, and now the original gasket which came with the cooler doesn't quite seal the odd shaped hole.

So... I'm hoping I can salvage the $50 I spent on the new cooler. I've given up trying to find a 3/4" stainless steel washer, and am wondering if Nylon would work for me (if I can find it). Are there any issues with leaching or toxins or whatever with nylon? Obviously it'll have to withstand temps up to 180.

If nylon works, and if I can get one with a wider OD, could I then use some food-grade silicon to try to seal the leaky sections around the original gasket. I know it's hard to give a definite answer without seeing the damage, but does it sound possible in theory? Or just unadvisable.

Help please?

Where did you get the cooler from? How bad is it, could you put it back to original, that doesn't look f***ed and return/exchange it? I know it sounds wrong, but the big box stores can afford to take a $50 hit...

Where did you get the cooler from? How bad is it, could you put it back to original, that doesn't look f***ed and return/exchange it? I know it sounds wrong, but the big box stores can afford to take a $50 hit...

But can your karma?

Good point. :eek: It always seems to come back and cost you twice as much, of something, doesn't it?

I retrack my original post. Thanks, Denny.:mug:

Well, I bought the silicone, so hopefully there's something I can do to make this right. (For the record - I never considered trying to return the cooler.)

At the same time, I did always wonder if I'd made a mistake buying the 36-quart model over the 52qt model. Maybe the Lord is telling me something?

Back