Mixing Carboys/Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperlester

Reaction score
I'm 99.9% certain on this one, but want to get some opinions before I go and make a mess.

I brewed 10g of brown ale, about a month ago and split (unevenly) into two carboys, both using the same yeast and treated identically. It's finished fermenting, temperature ramped, and now cooled. I haven't taken a final gravity reading, but I know it's done as it had a good, strong fermentation and hit all the checkboxes of happy yeast and had plenty of time.

My plan is to rack both into a sanitized bucket that can hold all 10g, give it a gentle stir to mix evenly, take my FG reading, and then rack to a pair of kegs (one keg at a time). Yes, yes, I understand (oh horror of horrors) that I might introduce a smidge of additional oxygen to my beer - it isn't going to last long enough for that to be a concern.

The thought is to avoid one keg getting way more sediment than the other, as the one carboy has much more beer than the other, and ending up with two kegs of slightly different beer instead of two identical kegs.

Thoughts or anything I should consider before I go ahead with this?

I don't see an intrinsic issue with blending the batch back together. The likely oxidation damage shouldn't be much worse than racking either half to a bottling bucket...

Cheers!

Back