Mixing 3 beer kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyb1972020

Reaction score
I Was thinking of mixing 3 beer kits and don't know how it will turn out or if I should change some things.

15Gals

HERE'S THE BREAK DOWN

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
3.3 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Pilsen 35 2 16.3%
9.9 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Munich 35 8 49%
1 lb Dry Malt Extract - Amber 42 10 5%
2 lb Dry Malt Extract - Wheat 42 3 9.9%
1 lb Corn Sugar - Dextrose 46 0.5 5%
17.2 lb Total

Steeping Grains

1 lb German - Vienna 37 4 5%
0.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 80L 33 80 2.5%
0.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 2.5%
0.25 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 20L 35 20 1.2%
0.75 lb German - Carapils 35 1.3 3.7%

Hops

Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1 oz Brewer's Gold Pellet 9 Boil 55 min 7.82
1 oz Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 40 min 3.51
1 oz Tettnanger Pellet 4.5 Boil 40 min 3.51
1 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 4 Boil 20 min 2.15
1 oz Tettnanger Pellet 4.5 Boil 5 min 0.8
0.5 oz Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 5 min 0.4

Yeast
WLP833 or WLP830 Not sure yet Pitch Rate 1.75

Estimated Numbers
OG 1.045 FG 1.012 ABV 4.92% IBU (tinseth) 18.19 SMR (Morey) 8.28

I Was thinking of mixing 3 beer kits and don't know how it will turn out or if I should change some things.

15Gals

HERE'S THE BREAK DOWN

Fermentables

3.3 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Pilsen 35 2 16.3%
9.9 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Munich 35 8 49%
1 lb Dry Malt Extract - Amber 42 10 5%
2 lb Dry Malt Extract - Wheat 42 3 9.9%
1 lb Corn Sugar - Dextrose 46 0.5 5%
17.2 lb Total

Steeping Grains

1 lb German - Vienna 37 4 5%
0.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 80L 33 80 2.5%
0.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 2.5%
0.25 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 20L 35 20 1.2%
0.75 lb German - Carapils 35 1.3 3.7%

Hops

Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1 oz Brewer's Gold Pellet 9 Boil 55 min 7.82
1 oz Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 40 min 3.51
1 oz Tettnanger Pellet 4.5 Boil 40 min 3.51
1 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 4 Boil 20 min 2.15
1 oz Tettnanger Pellet 4.5 Boil 5 min 0.8
0.5 oz Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 5 min 0.4

Yeast
WLP833 or WLP830 Not sure yet Pitch Rate 1.75

Estimated Numbers
OG 1.045 FG 1.012 ABV 4.92% IBU (tinseth) 18.19 SMR (Morey) 8.28

I think you should do it. RIGHT NOW! Do it!! I dare you...

It would be a lager; somewhat Oktoberfest-like.

While I also enjoy experimentation, why wouldn't you brew the kits as they're intended or make tweeks to the individual kits? It would make a lot more sense than throwing a bunch of stuff together without a plan and hoping for the best.

its an Oktoberfest / Vienna lager / Kolsch mix. I was just thinking it would be interesting to see what it would turn out to be, I have the kits just laying around and I have made them several times. I guess it's more curiosity then anything.

You have 3 kits that are each going to make reasonably decent and balanced beers = 15 gallons of decent beer, in 3 varieties.

Mixing them, you really don't know what you will get = 15 gallons of the same beer of ?????? quality. You will have lots of muddled/blended flavors, that none will stand out. The product of the 3 combined will probably be less than any of the three when brewed separately ........ I think you will enjoy drinking the 15 gallons more if you brew the 3 beers separately.

The extracts should all mix. The Munich will probably provide the dominant flavor.

The grains will all mix, but will provide a muddled crystal flavor with mixing several lovibonds.

The hops ....... the Tettnanger, and Hallertau will clash with the Fuggles. I'd suggest dropping the fuggles.

If you go ahead with it, report back.

if SMASH is Single Malt and Single Hop... this must be a MHAM. (many hop and many malt)

Want another? Yes, MHAM.

Mixing them, you really don't know what you will get = 15 gallons of the same beer of ?????? quality. You will have lots of muddled/blended flavors, that none will stand out. The product of the 3 combined will probably be less than any of the three when brewed separately ........ I think you will enjoy drinking the 15 gallons more if you brew the 3 beers separately.

+1... I'm not sure what you're looking for from the folks on this forum?? This is purely a crap shoot. You may get the best beer you've ever drank in your whole life! You may get something that is undrinkable (doubtful but helps to make a point). You may get something in between??

Let's say you get something in between. I'm not sure where you go from there?? How do you make adjustments to a beer that already has so many blended flavors that you have no idea what's reacting with what to produce the results you received??

Personally, I don't see the point.

BUT; I also know that sometimes I get an itch that I HAVE to scratch. Reasoning be damned. If that's the case, go for it!

This is kinda what I was expecting mixed fillings. But still leaves me very hopeful, After my 10Gals of Kolsch is done. I will get a plan together, materials ready and decide from there. But with that said I see myself pulling the trigger on this one. Have given up on alot of other ones and something keeps driving me to this one over the years.

If I do decide to take out the Fuggle should I add more Tettnang and Hallertau in its place?

If I do decide to take out the Fuggle should I add more Tettnang and Hallertau in its place?

You might not need more. Just move the 40 and 20 minute additions to 10 minute.

Up the 60 minute addition to get the IBUs you want. If you don't have anything better, you could use the Fuggles at 60 to help, but I don't think that is an efficient use of the Fuggles.

Simplify the Hop addition:

- 60 minute = Bittering
- 10 minute = Flavor
- 5 minute = Aroma

Yes, this is simplified, and there is zero minute, hop steep and dry hop, which don't apply to this beer.

I did a Vienna lager and oktoberfest mix half i fermented as an ale the other half I lagered. Both have what i fell is a nice bit in the hops flaver. Would love for people to try it and see how it really is.

Back