Mixed up In/Out side of keg. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
I just realized that I kegged my last beer with the gas dip tube on the "out" side and the beer dip tube on the "in" side (so opposite of where they should be), but I have the keg posts on the right sides. It's a ball lock corny. It's carbonated, so I was afraid to remove the posts and tubes, resanitize, and then swap them, because I didn't want beer to foam up and over flow and I didn't want to lose so much carbonation and have to wait to recarb. For now, I swapped my gas disconnect to my beer line and beer disconnect to my gas line so I could fit them on posts and try to get some beer without opening the keg. However, the beer comes out VERY slow this way. I am guessing the gas disconnect just isn't meant to flow that way?? Anyway, any suggestions on the easiest and safest way to remedy this situation with ruining the beer are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

So it sounds like you took your keg apart. Can you just switch the metal connectors so they are over their appropriate dip tubes?

From taking mine apart I've never noticed any difference in the inner workings.

Double D, I don't think that will work because in my experience the gas won't screw on the beer side because they have a slightly different ID.

Id say just bite the bullet and pull the lines off and fix the tubes..... If you have to wait a few days it still faster than bottling.. either way doing it wrong can't be any better than waiting a few days to do it right.

I just realized that I kegged my last beer with the gas dip tube on the "out" side and the beer dip tube on the "in" side (so opposite of where they should be), but I have the keg posts on the right sides. It's a ball lock corny. It's carbonated, so I was afraid to remove the posts and tubes, resanitize, and then swap them, because I didn't want beer to foam up and over flow and I didn't want to lose so much carbonation and have to wait to recarb. For now, I swapped my gas disconnect to my beer line and beer disconnect to my gas line so I could fit them on posts and try to get some beer without opening the keg. However, the beer comes out VERY slow this way. I am guessing the gas disconnect just isn't meant to flow that way?? Anyway, any suggestions on the easiest and safest way to remedy this situation with ruining the beer are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

The gas/beer fittings flow the same. Swapping them should have worked fine. What type of beer is it? maybe the dip tube is clogged with trub and hops?

The gas/beer fittings flow the same. Swapping them should have worked fine. What type of beer is it? maybe the dip tube is clogged with trub and hops?

It's an IPA and I notice a little hop matter in the glasses I poured. The dip tube could very well be clogged. I agree that considering everything I just have to roll up my sleeves and get in there. Thanks!

I tried to take the post off after releasing the pressure, and beer started spewing out all over. That rout won't work until there is less beer in there. I don't think the dip tube is clogged because it is coming out but just slow and very foamy. I'm wondering if it's the poppet or somewhere else where is it getting in or something. What would made it come out so foamy. Like when it comes out is basically foam flowing out. Looking in the beer tube, you can tell it is half foam

It's definitely like the beer is hitting the atmosphere before it comes out the faucet or it is getting disrupted or something causing it foam prematurely. Thoughts?

pull the pressure relief valve and leave it open, or pull the lid entirely off the keg. Then remove your posts and dip tubes. You want everything where it's supposed to go because the sizes are slightly different. I know the disconnects will usually fit on the wrong posts, but sometimes they're very difficult to get back off and you can damage the o-rings, which can cause leaking. Reassemble the way it should be and check carefully for leaks before walking away.

It's definitely like the beer is hitting the atmosphere before it comes out the faucet or it is getting disrupted or something causing it foam prematurely. Thoughts?

Sounds like a bit of hop debris at the poppet. Knocking the co2 out of the beer as it pours which is probably why you have so much foaming. When you pull the diptubes to switch them make sure your poppets are clean and clear also.

Guys, I kept the pressure valve open, removed the posts and diptubes and put them back where the belong after sanitizing them. The poppet was clogged with hop matter. It's working fine now. Thanks for all the help! I think in the future when I dry hop, maybe I should put the hops in a fine mesh bag so that I have left hop matter in the keg. I had given the beer plenty of time to settle and crash prior to kegging.

Guys, I kept the pressure valve open, removed the posts and diptubes and put them back where the belong after sanitizing them. The poppet was clogged with hop matter. It's working fine now. Thanks for all the help! I think in the future when I dry hop, maybe I should put the hops in a fine mesh bag so that I have left hop matter in the keg. I had given the beer plenty of time to settle and crash prior to kegging.

I bought one of these for my dryhopped beers.

41TJkdB9rbL.jpg

link

It works double duty to keep my small parts (keg disconnect internals) when running cleaner/sanitizer through the lines too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one of these for my dryhopped beers.

41TJkdB9rbL.jpg

link

It works double duty to keep my small parts (keg disconnect internals) when running cleaner/sanitizer through the lines too.

Thanks, man! I'm going to get that thing. 3.5 inch diameter seems like it could hold a good bit of pellet hops.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need (or want) to fill that up with pellets. They will swell a lot and only the outside layer will get utilized, while the inside stays dry. Really you don't need a ton of hops for keg dry hopping anyway. Experiment with it and see what works for you.

You don't need (or want) to fill that up with pellets. They will swell a lot and only the outside layer will get utilized, while the inside stays dry. Really you don't need a ton of hops for keg dry hopping anyway. Experiment with it and see what works for you.

That's good to know. Most of the IPAs I've done have maybe 2-3oz of dry hops, that was why I got the bigger strainer. If you need less for dry-hopping in the keg, then bonus.

Even if that strainer is still too small, it's worth the money to me. Last night when I was cleaning out my beer lines, it was nice to take apart the disconnects and put those parts in the strainer to keep them together while recirculating cleaner/sanitizer.

If you swapped the disconnects, be very careful. The disconnect posts are slightly different in diameter. You may find that one of them is really stuck on there tight. Be prepared for possible breakage.

Back