Mix Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UdonPete

Reaction score
Am stuck, just noticed receipe calls for 1.2 pks of Verdant IPA and only have 1 pkt in stock - question, what would happen if I added a little US05 to the Verdant pkk ?

One yeast will grow faster than the other. Which one is hard to say. I would pitch only the one pack of verdant ... I think it will work out

There's a risk the desired yeast profile - if there is one - gets subdued. Depending on what you're brewing that might not be an issue.

What's your batch size and strength? There's a good chance that one packet will be enough.

If it were me, I'd just pitch the one packet. I use 1 packet of Verdant for 18L of 1.056/5.6% APA at 21C, and it works fine.

For an IPA? It’s probably fine, but a slight under pitch is also probably fine. I have a hoppy brown ale that I had 3 repitched yeasts (west coast, us05, and S04) in there and then used that cake for a porter right after. Both beers are on tap now and delicious.

I used 3 because they came from older yeast cakes, wasn’t sure of the viability, and didn’t want to make a starter

If you don't have an exact temperature you want to use but can control the temperature, go a little above the lowest temperature in the suggested range. They'll grow a little faster if warmer. I haven't worked with the yeast you are using to tell you how much more might affect the end product.

For an IPA? It’s probably fine, but a slight under pitch is also probably fine. I have a hoppy brown ale that I had 3 repitched yeasts (west coast, us05, and S04) in there and then used that cake for a porter right after. Both beers are on tap now and delicious.

I used 3 because they came from older yeast cakes, wasn’t sure of the viability, and didn’t want to make a starter
Interesting, thanks

If you don't have an exact temperature you want to use but can control the temperature, go a little above the lowest temperature in the suggested range. They'll grow a little faster if warmer. I haven't worked with the yeast you are using to tell you how much more might affect the end product.
Now that's a good idea, instead of starting off at 18C I will start at 20C

Am stuck, just noticed receipe calls for 1.2 pks of Verdant IPA and only have 1 pkt in stock - question, what would happen if I added a little US05 to the Verdant pkk ?
I've not used Verdant before, but reading the description I'd guess adding US-05 would reduce the yeast character and finish a bit drier. I'd probably make a starter to culture the yeast to a higher volume so I could use just one yeast, but that will take a couple of days. I've mixed yeasts before with good results, though, and your combination sounds like it would work well in that proportion. I try to avoid under-pitching, so would pick either of these methods over just using the single packet. I like to say that each brew is an experiment (always trying something).

Back