Mistakes in Parenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a baby anytime I was put in a walker (wheeled contraption to let a crawling age kid be more mobile, terrible idea) I would head straight for the stairs. Yeah they forgot to close the door on occasion. I turned out okay though.

My girl took a tumble down the basement stairs around 14 months. 15 wood stairs. Got a shiner and a other bruises. Was playing fine 20 minutes later. Went to her pediatrician a bit later. Her response, after 30+ years of practice, "Yeah they're made of rubber at that age aren't they."
Swmbo's fault btw...
Worst I've done is smash some fingers.

For all you guys who feel bad about kicking your children, my dad hit me in the face with a 12 pound sledge when I was about 8.

We were patching a tractor tire, had it laid down driving wedges in to pop the tire off the rim. I'm standing behind my dad on the tire daydreaming. Next thing I know, the old man is going down and I got a sledge hammer right between the eyes.

Turns out, he missed the wedge, hit the tire and the sledge bounced back. I came to with him yelling at me and my mom yelling at him. "Goddammit Danny you hit your son with a hammer!"

That was the third matching set of black eyes I got on his watch. I've turned out pretty well. I'm a scientist at a pretty esteemed university but I can't help but wonder what kind of power I might have had if not for all the early head trauma.

My girl took a tumble down the basement stairs around 14 months. 15 wood stairs. Got a shiner and a other bruises. Was playing fine 20 minutes later. Went to her pediatrician a bit later. Her response, after 30+ years of practice, "Yeah they're made of rubber at that age aren't they."
Swmbo's fault btw...
Worst I've done is smash some fingers.

How did it happen that you smashed the kids fingers?

For all you guys who feel bad about kicking your children, my dad hit me in the face with a 12 pound sledge when I was about 8.

We were patching a tractor tire, had it laid down driving wedges in to pop the tire off the rim. I'm standing behind my dad on the tire daydreaming. Next thing I know, the old man is going down and I got a sledge hammer right between the eyes.

Turns out, he missed the wedge, hit the tire and the sledge bounced back. I came to with him yelling at me and my mom yelling at him. "Goddammit Danny you hit your son with a hammer!"

That was the third matching set of black eyes I got on his watch. I've turned out pretty well. I'm a scientist at a pretty esteemed university but I can't help but wonder what kind of power I might have had if not for all the early head trauma.

Maybe he knocked some sense into you.

That's just environmentally friendly recycling. My dog is currently designated to doing that duty. He now loves having babies around.

My wife just (7/1!) gave birth to our second. A girl!

Damn, that's floccin scary. Our boy is 21 months, and I thought I was getting a pretty good handle on what I should do as a parent. Not anymore. Not at all.
One thing that gives me solace is that she has an older brother.

I can't wait to see what I'm going to do to screw this up. Thankfully there's this thread to document my failings! :mug:

Mine our 17 months apart. I look back and it feels like the terrible 2's as they are called lasted for a very long time, but really it is just that the kids started listening and communicating really well around the age of 5. Now they are 9 (boy) and almost 8 (girl). They play together and almost act like twins at times. It is awesome having them so close despite the challenges during the younger years.

My sister is considerably older than I , and her daughter was born when I was three. My niece and I never got along well, and my sister often threatened to "knock your heads together"- an old saying, for you younguns.

OMG, she really DID knock our heads together at least once. Don't do that! Unless you've got two handfuls of bad guys' hair. It was awful.

My sister is considerably older than I , and her daughter was born when I was three. My niece and I never got along well, and my sister often threatened to "knock your heads together"- an old saying, for you younguns.

OMG, she really DID knock our heads together at least once. Don't do that! Unless you've got two handfuls of bad guys' hair. It was awful.

I read that thinking of the goonies, when Sloth smacked his brothers heads together on the pirate ship.

Hey, you guys!!

Against my better judgement, one more from when the same boy was about two. We had just moved into this rent house that had a five step stair off the back porch with no hand rail. I was in the back yard taking some meat off the smoker. The back door was supposed to be shut. I'm sure you see where this is going.

I turned around with a platter full of pork roast and watched powerlessly, almost in slow motion as my son fell headfirst off the top step. He landed on his face in the dirt then full on scorpioned. I thought his neck was broken. It had to be. I dropped the platter of meat and scooped him up. He was fine. Scratched his face and knocked the wind out of him.

We took him to the doctor anyway. I'll never forget that.

Edit. And I installed a hand rail the next day.

Our toddler pulled almost this exact same maneuver. Cried for five seconds, then ran off to find his juice.

These little sprouts are tough, eh? I used to joke that "they're mostly cartilage at this point, so they bounce" just to make parents mad, but there seems to be a bit of truth to it.

I think part of it is the same as why drunk drivers tend to survive car accidents better. When they fall, instead of tensing up to catch themselves they relax and fall like a sack of grain and as a result dont get hurt as bad. Plus they are halfway to Wolverine healing factor as it is.

Its always fun to watch a kid that does not know you are watching. They fall down and hurt themselves sniffle a little, look around, and if no one saw they go on as they were. If someone sees thats when the face turns red and schrivels like a raisin before the ear splitting shriek/crying starts.

My little dude took a fall off the couch when he was wrestling with his sister.

Little-Dude.jpg

He cried and cried and cried. I think more over the fact he lost to his sister than anything else.

These little sprouts are tough, eh? I used to joke that "they're mostly cartilage at this point, so they bounce" just to make parents mad, but there seems to be a bit of truth to it.[/QUOTE]

Used the same joke myself. Always got a scowl from the wifey.

But if I was there and told our daughter, "hey good one, you bounce well" she would be fine. Wifey there with "oh you poor baby" and scoop her up and there was crying for 10 minutes.

My little dude took a fall off the couch when he was wrestling with his sister.

He cried and cried and cried. I think more over the fact he lost to his sister than anything else.

Oh man, I have a doozy.

So, my 2 year old spent the whole week with my parents at our lake cabin... and obviously, upon her arrival at our home, she was spoiled rotten.

She kept saying "no" to everything (more than usual), and started hitting. She hit her mom, she hit me, she hit the dog.

Naturally, I sent her to her room and told her she could come out if she said sorry. That would have been the end of it.

Instead, she decided to run out and hit us all again and scream "NO" in my face.

So, I spanked her. She didn't care at first, so I turned it up a notch and made her cry (which sucks).

About 20 mins later I notice that she has 3 small welts on her leg where my fingers hit bare skin. Perfect outline.

She's over it by this point, and I'm feeling bad, when she launches off the couch and hits her nose square on the table. Eyes swelled up, face got all red and I thought she may have broken it. She screamed and screamed.

The swelling went down and luckily my hand print went away before she went off to daycare the next day.

That would have been a fun one to try to explain to the DSS.

These little sprouts are tough, eh? I used to joke that "they're mostly cartilage at this point, so they bounce" just to make parents mad, but there seems to be a bit of truth to it.

Used the same joke myself. Always got a scowl from the wifey.

But if I was there and told our daughter, "hey good one, you bounce well" she would be fine. Wifey there with "oh you poor baby" and scoop her up and there was crying for 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

When mine was little and would hit his head on the table or the like, I would ask him if he broke the table before he had a chance to start crying. I'd get all serious, like I was worried about the table being broken. He'd be so busy checking out the table that he'd forget to start crying. Worked every time. Well, not every time. You know what I mean.

Same here. Usually phrased as a declarative statement. "Dude, you cracked my driveway."

Works 60% of the time, every time.

I tried that once on something that was actually already broken (chair). And then he cried cause he was afraid he was in trouble for breaking the chair. Then the wife got on to me for getting on to him for breaking the chair.

Won't do THAT again.

I tried that once on something that was actually already broken (chair). And then he cried cause he was afraid he was in trouble for breaking the chair. Then the wife got on to me for getting on to him for breaking the chair.

Won't do THAT again.

Mama pretty much lets me raise him as I see fit. I'm not abusive, I don't demean him. I try every way I can to speak to him in his level, and teach him whenever I can. I also eff with his head every once in a while. Gotta keep em grounded.

on a road trip and kids were driving us crazy my wife says hey shut your pie hole! "whats a pie hole?" one of my boys asked.. I said "what do you eat pie with"? all was quiet.. the next day my 4 year old and I were sitting around the campfire and this bird kept sqwaking over and over.. 4 year old says "dad that bird is annoying".. while later " dad you need to climb up that tree and shut that birds pie hole!" I almost died with laughter.. then explained that its not really a nice thing to say

Car doors used to be big for that.

Smashed fingers was always one of my major fears, so I always had my kids put their hands on the top of their head where I could see them before I shut the car door. 43 years, 4 kids and 7 grands later I still do that and (knock on wood) no smashed fingers yet,

Smashed fingers was always one of my major fears, so I always had my kids put their hands on the top of their head where I could see them before I shut the car door. 43 years, 4 kids and 7 grands later I still do that and (knock on wood) no smashed fingers yet,

Ug, this reminds me... We were bringing the kids home from swimming lessons one day. Another woman is in the parking lot loading up her kids. I hear their doors slam shut, then some crying. Thought nothing of it, little kids, right? Then the mom walks over to us with this dazed look on her face, holding something in her hand. The car door had clipped one of her daughter's fingers right off. There was a medical clinic nearby and we pointed her there. In hindsight, I should have offered to drive her there. I think everyone was in shock.

This is another story in the line of "things kids say."

When my daughter was young she would shimmy up the steel pole holding up the I-Beam in the basement of our house until she'd touch her head to the beam. One day a buddy and I were watching football and my daughter wanted to show off what she could do, but she was wearing slick pants and couldn't get enough grip to make it to the top. So my daughter looks at me and says:

"Daddy, can I take my pants off and climb the pole."

Not exactly the words a father wants to hear from his daughter,

Back