Mississippi Homebrew Legalization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been brewing for 8 months now, and just lurk around here learning all I can, but I am from Picayune MS, and didnt know its was illegal here. I get all my stuff online and from NO and until seeing this was telling everybody it is legal didnt think about state laws. What do we have to do now to get it back to a vote? anyone know

quite the conundrum for sure.

i also live in a dry county, but i still keep beer at the house. i don't really think it's any different than speeding or not wearing a seat belt. how do i get past the ethics of it? i just don't enforce laws that i might also violate. i'm not going to write someone a ticket for doing 10 over the speed limit when i do i might occasionally do it as well. similarly, i'm not going to arrest anyone for drinking beer in a dry county when i do it as well, quite regularly actually. i guess some people would look at that as not really doing my job, but i think of it as being equitable and fair. i'd rather be fair in selectively enforcing laws than unfair in absolutely enforcing them. :mug:

Been brewing for 8 months now, and just lurk around here learning all I can, but I am from Picayune MS, and didnt know its was illegal here. I get all my stuff online and from NO and until seeing this was telling everybody it is legal didnt think about state laws. What do we have to do now to get it back to a vote? anyone know

did you know we have a homebrew club on the coast? would you be interested?

i also live in a dry county, but i still keep beer at the house. i don't really think it's any different than speeding or not wearing a seat belt. how do i get past the ethics of it? i just don't enforce laws that i might also violate. i'm not going to write someone a ticket for doing 10 over the speed limit when i do i might occasionally do it as well. similarly, i'm not going to arrest anyone for drinking beer in a dry county when i do it as well, quite regularly actually. i guess some people would look at that as not really doing my job, but i think of it as being equitable and fair. i'd rather be fair in selectively enforcing laws than unfair in absolutely enforcing them. :mug:

true that. refreshing to hear.

NO. making wine is legal, but brewing beer is illegal. since it's illegal, there are no retail stores for buying grain, hops, etc. we have to order our **** from out of state in order to brew.

and as to why live here, i am with deepsouth. i don't think i could leave my family behind and i know my wife wouldn't leave her family. i guess that sense of belonging and cohesion is one of the positive things about living here. now, if i had the money, i would pay to move all my family somewhere else.

Yeah- this post involves what some of us call "important things." Not legalizing homebrew isn't that important. Order your ingredients on the internet, get behind the movement to legalize if you wish, and get on with the important things in life.
Believe me, I live in the People's Republic of Illinois (aka "The Duchy of Daley"), and there are reasons a lot more significant than homebrewing (which is legal) that make me want to move out of this state. But we have our roots in this part of the country. People, blood. We've lived our lives here, our children were born here, we'll probably go into the ground here.

But before it's over, we may move back to Indiana, where we grew up....

Sorry to hear both bills died in committee, but being from Alabama and and seeing this happen to us every year, I fell your pain. so far we have had 3 bills introduced, SB153, the Homebrewing bill is still in the Tourism and travel committee, and SB328, Brewery modernization act has come out of committe and were waiting on the house version HB406 to do the same thing.
who knows? maybe this year, maybe not..........

Sorry to hear both bills died in committee, but being from Alabama and and seeing this happen to us every year, I fell your pain. so far we have had 3 bills introduced, SB153, the Homebrewing bill is still in the Tourism and travel committee, and SB328, Brewery modernization act has come out of committe and were waiting on the house version HB406 to do the same thing.
who knows? maybe this year, maybe not..........

Did the committee offer any justification as to deny you the right to brew your own beer?

Did the committee offer any justification as to deny you the right to brew your own beer?

they havent shot us down on any this year, we are still waiting to see how it shakes out. we just have bills in different stages of progress.

Has anyone been "caught" doing homebrew and had any negative consequences from it ?

Will homebrew supply shops deliver to MS ?

I'm from New Orleans, so it doesn't apply here, and we have drive through daquari stores, which was almost a good idea.

I have no problems getting homebrew supplies here in MS. It's illegal to homebrew in AL too and I know there are a handful of LHBS there, but there's no legal issue (that I know of) with buying brewing gear online and having it shipped in.

A guy was busted in AL a while back for homebrewing, but it sounds like he could have been distilling too. I'm not 100% of the facts and I haven't seen or heard any new news about him. I'm not too worried about it here in MS. I've talked to a few LEOs here and they pretty much told me I didn't have to worry about it too much, that they had better stuff to worry about. There's even a police officer that lives in the area that's a homebrewer. He chimes in on our brew club's forums occasionally.

I'm really not in Columbus, I'm actually out in New Hope.

We sure do have a brew club and we are pretty active too. There are about 15 in the club, but only about 4-5 of us participate regularly. We meet the first Saturday of every month. We aren't very formal. We try to decide on club stuff as a group. We are registered with the AHA. The name of the club is The Golden Triangle Brewers. When we do meet, we usually brew or have a tasting session. I'll send you a PM about specifics.

yeah, what the hell, Mississippi? Get with the freakin program.

Counties can override the Feds, except where illegal aliens are concerned.

I don't understand the concept of dry counties (or Parishes).

Just like St. Tammany parish "voted" to abolish video poker - guess what dickheads, you just lost revenue, and whoever wants to do it, goes to another parish.

Good idea for alcohol too - make some drunk drive to another county to get blitzed, then drive back home - real fekin great idea.

Just like St. Tammany parish "voted" to abolish video poker - guess what dickheads, you just lost revenue, and whoever wants to do it, goes to another parish.

Good idea for alcohol too - make some drunk drive to another county to get blitzed, then drive back home - real fekin great idea.

If we all stayed home and brewed our own beer, chances are we'd drink our own beer at home more often as well....thus, less drunk drivers on the road, thus more lives saved, theoretically. Mississippi is being a dick

I grew up in St. Tammany parish and I did homebrew without any issues. I didn't concern myself with the technicalities of the law at all. I respected law enforcement enough to trust that they knew the law. The kind of officers who would book you for a technicality like homebrewing were the kind to nab you for running a stop sign because you didn't come to a complete stop for a full two seconds, and those officers had virtually zero chance of ever encountering a homebrewer. My backup plan was always to reason with the officer if confronted. Ask them to come back off-duty if they preferred and sample one of my homebrews, and then tell me to my face as a human being that it's still breaking the law and has a duty to book an offense. If so, fine. But they receive heaps of bad karma for that! :mug:

On top of it overriding the feds, I think it even comes down to the individual cities. I believe Oktibbeha county is technically dry, but you can buy alcohol within the city limits of Starkville. I also know the city of Booneville also just voted against beer in their city.

I also don't understand the concept of dry counties. Now living with in a reasonable driving distance to Tuscaloosa, and now with Alabama having passed their higher ABV laws, I will drive and spend my money in a different state where I can get a larger selection of beer. I'm just glad the craft beer scene in Starkville and West Point is starting to pick up. The beer selection in Columbus leaves something to be desired.

I'm not trying to pile on here, i'm just sayin..........from what you guys are describing, Mississippi sounds terrible.

I'm not trying to pile on here, i'm just sayin..........from what you guys are describing, Mississippi sounds terrible.

I moved here from California. I wasn't old enough to drink then, but moving here was a bit of a culture shock. Almost like traveling back in time in some ways. However, I got use to living here, received a great education from MSU, met my wife, and met some awesome people. Living here has it's moments and it does suck sometimes, but the most part, I kind of like it here. Now only if they would change their dang beer laws!

Daybis said:
I moved here from California. I wasn't old enough to drink then, but moving here was a bit of a culture shock. Almost like traveling back in time in some ways. However, I got use to living here, received a great education from MSU, met my wife, and met some awesome people. Living here has it's moments and it does suck sometimes, but the most part, I kind of like it here. Now only if they would change their dang beer laws!

Jersey doesn't make excuses for its ****** bag problem (not everyone, but there is an epidemic), so no excuses for MS' alcohol problem

Back