Homebrew Legalization Progress in Mississippi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alestateyall

Reaction score
Mississippi had 2 homebrew legalization bills make it out of committee today (1 in senate and 1 in house). This is a first for Mississippi.

Wish us luck! We hope to finally beat Alabama at something.

Nightshade said:
Hard to imagine a state with such archaic laws still on the books and enforced.

Good luck

It sure is. They are not enforced here. But we want a law so they never will be.

Hey OP, where ya from? I was born and raised in Greenville. Good luck in the legalization fight.

Our home brew bill passed the Mississippi Senate today 40-11! On to the house! Compare our debate to the infamous Alabama debate from a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on moving that much closer to the 21st century ;)

Hopefully you'll lead Alabama out of the dark ages as well. Can't hurt!

Cheers!

That means we in Alabama are close to being the ONLY state that won't allow it!!! Come on Alabama HB9 and SB171 !!!!!!!!!!

If the bill passes without any amendments it will go straight to the governor. If there are amendments (none so far) a conference will be required.

The deadline for house floor action is March 13. I hope the vote will come before then.

House calendar has the bill listed for today, I believe the general assembly is at 2:00. It may or may not go up for a vote today. I've got my fingers crossed, it has made it too far to be struck down now!

CGVT said:
Wow. Congrats! That was nice. Just wait for the shenanigans when the bill hits the floor here in Alabama...

We are lucky. We don't have any organized opposition in MS. We have plenty of folks who don't like alcohol laws but no one is calling our representatives voicing opposition to our bill.

SynthesisError said:
House calendar has the bill listed for today, I believe the general assembly is at 2:00. It may or may not go up for a vote today. I've got my fingers crossed, it has made it too far to be struck down now!

Does the bill have to be read 3 times before floor action or anything like that?

Excellent news guys. Glad to hear that things are going well. AND you're getting the full federal limits! :tank:

Keep us up to date.

Does the bill have to be read 3 times before floor action or anything like that?

I'm not positive, but I think the first reading is the committee report, after which they decide if any special rules should apply to the bill. The second reading is the point where the general assembly can recommend any amendments and send it back to committee, and the third reading is where it goes up for final passage. So it basically has to "pass" three times. But, if all goes smoothly I think it could be on the Governor's desk by the beginning of next week.

I'm not positive, but I think the first reading is the committee report (what is happening today), after which they decide if any special rules should apply to the bill. The second reading is the point where the general assembly can recommend any amendments and send it back to committee, and the third reading is where it goes up for final passage. So it basically has to "pass" three times. But, if all goes smoothly I think it could be on the Governor's desk by the beginning of next week.

Committee is the 2nd reading. See this link

Good Luck! It would be interesting to talk to the 11 who voted against it and really probe their minds for what their rationale for being against it is. Then again, it probably wouldn't be all that intersting.

Hope this keeps going for you guys.

It didn't get voted on today, there were audible groans of disappointment when the committee chair postponed it. I hope that's a good sign.

That was funny when the crowd moaned. I don't know why the bill was skipped. Several of the other bills considered today also came out of committee today.

Maybe he thought there would be too much discussion on the homebrew bill?

Mississippi had 2 homebrew legalization bills make it out of committee today (1 in senate and 1 in house). This is a first for Mississippi.

Wish us luck! We hope to finally beat Alabama at something.

Fck people telling us what we can do in our backyards. I am not affecting them and they have no experience with such things and yet they are making laws about it..... I will do as I please and give the gov my pretty finger.... Funny how they make bank on taxes for such things, but brew it yourself, now that's just illegal......

:off:

Good Luck! It would be interesting to talk to the 11 who voted against it and really probe their minds for what their rationale for being against it is. Then again, it probably wouldn't be all that intersting.

Hope this keeps going for you guys.

Some will vote against alcohol bills if they represent dry areas, regardless of how they personally feel about the issue.

Latest posts

Back