Homebrew Legalization Progress in Mississippi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to do a pecan mild with pecans from my late Grandmother's pecan trees from my hometown of Crystal Springs, MS in honor of this tommorow

ciarraikerry, JeepDriver, thanks for celebrating with us! I just finished brewing a batch of White House Honey Ale. Seems like a good one to celebrate personal freedom.

That question was a plant. He was making fun.

I understand that and knew it when it happened. But why? Another attempt to make us from Mississippi look like the backwoods folks everyone believes we are? I just could not find a purpose in a setting as such, to make such a comment. My 2¢

I understand that and knew it when it happened. But why? Another attempt to make us from Mississippi look like the backwoods folks everyone believes we are? I just could not find a purpose in a setting as such, to make such a comment. My 2¢

I thought it was pretty funny. Especially considering that we don't really have hills and most shiners are in the Appalachians. Distilling really isn't a big problem in MS.

TideJoe said:
I know it's being done because I've sampled several different ones, but it seemed a lot more prevalent in Alabama (lived there 21 years) and Georgia.

There were several arrests last year in Winston and Lowdes county. There was a group(s) making lots of shine and selling it for profit (sans paying taxes if course).

Noticed someone in the first debate video had to ask how it would affect tax revenue... Shows where their interests are huh.

I know it's being done because I've sampled several different ones, but it seemed a lot more prevalent in Alabama (lived there 21 years) and Georgia.

Just depends on what and who you know. Can't say for the last 20 years what it has been like, but 20-25 years ago, I knew 2-3 direct sources in my County alone, and had access to probably 4-5 more.

The Mississippi homebrew bill has officially been sent to the governor. Governor Bryant has 5 business days to sign it, veto it, or ignore it. If he chooses to ignore the bill it will automatically become law.

So MS actually beat GA to the 200 gallon mark. I HAVE to get out of this state! Apathy is the crux of our nation.

Heh! According to the rep who presented our bill homebrewing bill it has been legal to homebrew in Mississippi since 1934. We just needed a permit. To top it off not having the permit was just a misdemeanor. Alabama is fighting for misdemeanor status right now.

Bottom line: Mississippi is the best. Of course.

Of course not. There was never a thought about homebrew. Heck until a few years ago the state agencies thought it was illegal to brew period. Lazy Magnolia (a Mississippi brewery wanting to open) told the Dept of Revenue about the law allowing brewing which had been in place since 1934.

The interpretation that the same law allowed homebrewing only happened a few months ago. The old law said to brew you needed a $1000 permit. It didn't place any requirements on the brewer (commercial company, business location, etc). Of course no hombrewer could afford the permit. Also, the Dept of Revenue would not issue a permit unless the brewer already had a federal permit. That made a catch 22 since there is no federal permit for homebrewing.

You had to have a permit to homebrew, but the state refuses to issue permits to homebrewers, only to professional brewers, making homebrewing illegal.

You had to have a permit to homebrew, but the state refuses to issue permits to homebrewers, only to professional brewers, making homebrewing illegal.

And you needed a federal permit first...which doesn't exist for homebrewers. And a $10K insurance bond. Hence the mess.

TideJoe said:
It's still sitting on his desk according to RYP website. He'll probably wait till the last day to sign it like he did the beer ABW bill.

Today was the last day but the website stops getting updated at 5pm. Hopefully we will know tomorrow.

I thought today was the 5 day mark. I guess we'll call it passed then. Time to start planning my "good deacon" beer for July 1.

BadDeacon said:
I thought today was the 5 day mark. I guess we'll call it passed then. Time to start planning my "good deacon" beer for July 1.

Today is the last day but no one says they have to tell us the status today.

10-4 good buddy! I figured I would hear from Butch or Mac if it had been signed. They are pretty good about keeping the FB updated.

Back