Missing dip tube on keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ourgot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it bad that I am missing the CO2 dip tube on my keg? Don't I won't the CO2 to be released from the bottom instead of out of the top?

Co2 is released from the top. The long tube is your liquid side. Yes you need to have the short tube in place.

You need the dip tube so that the poppet works properly. If the keg arrived without one, get the vendor/store to provide you with a GAS dip tube. While some (rather few) like to push CO2 in through the liquid tube, the vast majority just use the normal gas dip tube. As an alternative, you could install a gas post in the lid, and connect an air stone to that, which goes into the beer. The tiny CO2 bubbles it releases will do a good job of carbonating (if you're in a rush). Otherwise I'd just use the 2 week set and forget method (at serving pressure and temperature for 2+ weeks).

Back