Missed Gravity - don't have LME or DME - can I make a new mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustafakidd

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I'm making a 5gallon (5.5 in fermenter) batch that I was hoping to get to 1.049 and instead was at 1.042 - I was trying a different sparging technique than I usually go with, so I'm blaming that for the miss.

My wort is in the fermenter now and I've pitched my yeast, but I want to up the gravity while I still have a chance to "fix" it. Would rather not add table sugar since it'll dry and lighten the beer out too much, but I don't have anything else in the house that's handy. No LME or DME available. However, I do have 1/2 pound of 2-row leftover from this recipe *and* a half pound of corn sugar - any idea how I can utilize it to make a new wort that I can add to the fermenter? I don't know how to calculate how much to add to add a specific amount of gravity points.

Any tips are *greatly* appreciated.

-M

Personally I would just leave it. Worst case scenario is you end up with a nice session beer that fits the profile you were going for in a 1.049 beer...

You can get some extract and add it later, and that is what I would have done as a less experienced brewer. But I have found that Chemist is right, just let it go as is, and it will be a better beer. If you like it brew it again.

Personally I would just leave it. Worst case scenario is you end up with a nice session beer that fits the profile you were going for in a 1.049 beer...

Agreed. Leave it alone and enjoy it. You could end up with a great brew!

If I'm looking at this right, you've gone from approximately 4.7% ABV to approximately 4%. Sounds like it will still should be fine. I'd leave it.

Back