Misc ingredients.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you fancy? You could use MO, Amber, Chocolate, Oats and Roast Barley to make a 1940s British Porter with an OG around 1.035 if that's what you're into.

Or you could give a got at a British strong ale, something along the lines of: 12lb MO, 8oz Amber, 6oz Crystal, 2oz Roast Barley. 1/2oz Warrior @ 60m, 2oz Willamette @ 20m. Use some flavourful yeast.

For an IPA, I'd be looking at mostly Maris Otter with a little wheat, maybe some Vienna, maybe some Carapils. Use Columbus for the bittering charge, Amarillo for any late-additions in the boil, then a 4:1 mix of Amarillo & Columbus for the flameout/whirlpool and dry-hops.

Whatever you end up doing, please post the recipe you use, and then be sure to come back and let us know how it finished!

:)

Ok. Here is what i made.... I'm calling it Hop-pourri
8oz Maris otter pale malt
4oz crystal malt
4 oz light Carmel malt
Seeped at 150-175'F for ~15mins
Added 9lbs dry malt extract and 1lbs corn sugar.
Boil for 60 mins.
-1/2 oz warrior hops @ 15mins
-1/2 oz williamette hops @ 30 mins
-2 tsps Irish moss @ 40 mins
-1/2 oz Columbus hops @ 60 mins.

Pitched wyeast 1056 American Ale
OG: 1.080

Will dry hop with 1/2 oz Amarillo hops.

Any thoughts, comments? This is my first time going off the cuff like this.
Hope I have a drinkable beer at the end.

Looks like a kind of barleywine. It's good you didn't add too much crystal malt. That would have been a very good one to use a few oz of amber malt.

Back