British Golden Ale Miraculix Best - Classic English Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had Pub go successfully for 6 or 7 batches before it went bad. That last storage was about six months. Two to three weeks was not a problem at all.

That was harvested post-fermentation cake. Top-cropping would be better.
I tried reusing sludge after the beer finished and even after a few weeks the sludge was not good anymore.

Well, I missed my very narrow window for top crop it seems as the krausen disappeared during today (open ferment for first bit) and it's down to 1.011 in just 30hrs. Will see if it gets to the calculated FG of 1.006 but seems close to flat - maybe a couple more points over the next week. The pitch calculator said I actually need two rounds of starter given it was four months old.

I'll try saving and washing some sludge for practice and maybe another beer brew opportunity comes up in the next month. I'd definitely test it before pitching. To me, yeast is the unknown beast [do I need a 400x microscope?!].

I forgot to add Irish Moss (or whirlfloc) - I have isinglass and wonder if I can add this when I put it in the cask?

Well, I missed my very narrow window for top crop it seems as the krausen disappeared during today (open ferment for first bit) and it's down to 1.011 in just 30hrs. Will see if it gets to the calculated FG of 1.006 but seems close to flat - maybe a couple more points over the next week. The pitch calculator said I actually need two rounds of starter given it was four months old.

I'll try saving and washing some sludge for practice and maybe another beer brew opportunity comes up in the next month. I'd definitely test it before pitching. To me, yeast is the unknown beast [do I need a 400x microscope?!].

I forgot to add Irish Moss (or whirlfloc) - I have isinglass and wonder if I can add this when I put it in the cask?
You cannot wash yeast unless you are very skillful in chemical processes that are usually not open to honebrewers. What you do when "washing" is removing the protective barrier called beer plus healthy yeast cells. Wouldn't do that. You might want to top of the sludge with some beer for covering it and you might want to add a little bit of wort or dme to give the yeast something to nibble on while slowed down in the fridge. Don't seal the glass air tight, they will continue to ferment very slowly but will stay healthy longer this way.

Jus finished 16 gallons of beer to get through before I brew again... I guess I'll be saying goodbye to A09 until Imperial gets on top of their issues! In good news, the 4mo yeast did get the job done (says 80% attenuation - prolly 75%)

It might be fun to experiment with drying this slurry. Would need to build a dehydrator or 90F oven this time of year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-03 at 7.06.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-03 at 7.06.58 AM.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 0
@Miraculix, may I ask where you've bought Crisp malt from in Germany? My supplier (Netherlands) is phasing them out and I'm looking for another source.
When I created the recipe, I was living in the UK and bought it from maltmiller.co.uk. they are shipping basically everywhere. I'd buy a bigger order from there, best shop I know for homebrew stuff. I've bought stuff from them from Germany as well.

geterbrewed.com are probably your best bet for getting British ingredients into the EU, as they have warehouses either side of the Irish border so effectively they handle all the post-Brexit customs issues for you.

Just heard from my LHBS. Pub is shipping again! A fresh pouch has my name on it and is on its next-day way to him. Just in time for me to get a Miraculix Best ready for the return of Spring.

Once upon a time, I too lived in a place dominated by winter. Patches of snow still remaining into late April. Up in the mountains into June. Sadly, not anymore. Summer lasts forever. Autumn is barely a few weeks. Spring comes early.

True, my MO for ales meant to be drunk "mild" are 10-12 days fermentation, about 2 weeks carbonating in the keg(I prime in the keg) and 1 week cool conditioning in the kegerator. Thats about 5 weeks grain to glass and I suppose spring comes a bit earlier for @DBhomebrew than for me aswell...

Once upon a time, I too lived in a place dominated by winter. Patches of snow still remaining into late April. Up in the mountains into June. Sadly, not anymore. Summer lasts forever. Autumn is barely a few weeks. Spring comes early.
The biggest shock are the quick changes, it's spring for like 6 weeks than Bam! One day you wake up and it's 27c outside and the sun feels like an oven element...
Same in fall, it's autumn for maybe a month then it's suddenly like -15c one morning...

Some aging does a bitter good things.
Not my knees

And I've noticed a quicker turnaround since moving to kegs.
For some reason beer seems to come in condition a bit quicker when it's done in bulk.
I have thought the same, but until you said it out loud I did not realize I thought that. But yeah, since going to kegs, things seem to condition more quickly than when I only bottled.

Return of spring? That's like 10 weeks away...
Screw the temperature this morning in the mid-30s. I’m going outside to brew today!

edit: I neglected to specify “mid-30s” Fahrenheit. Mid 30s Celsius I’d be drinking beer rather than brewing it!

Glad Pub is back in production as I just dumped my yeast slurry and kegged and primed (1g/L) 31L yesterday. I added some isinglass as I forgot the Irish Moss. I usually give it 10 days conditioning @ 17C then 5 days at serving temp (10C). It will be replacing a Adnams Ghost Ship clone on my beer engines and I just finished a Dark Mild and replacing that with a brown based off Rogue but cask conditioned edition.

Here in NorCal 10C/50F is cold. If we want real cold we can drive 3hrs to Tahoe and off course drive home shortly thereafter back to civilized weather. On an even shorter cold experience we do have a cold plunge. I also use it for sneaking 5 gallons of 4C/38F water to finish off my immersion chilling (the beer, I use the whole 60 gallons for self-immersion for 5mins)

EDIT: I realized in classic European living in the US for 30yrs I had randomly mixed C and F. Corrected

@Miraculix if I remember correctly you tried brewing this with Verdant in an attempt to find a decent dry yeast for it.
However it was too fruity and had lower attenuation than you wanted.

Maybe WHC Saturated dry yeast might be worth a try?

https://whclab.com/product/dehydrated-saturated-dried-yeast-500g/?v=3a52f3c22ed6

It's also supposed to be a dry version of the London III Ale yeast but from what I read about it, it should have slightly higher attenuation and is not as fruity as Verdant.
I ordered a pack a while ago from an Irish shop but see it is now also available from Braumarkt and Amihopfen.

I haven't used it yet but I plan on brewing a Young's London Special ale clone that I did with Verdant last year (which was very tasty) and see how different it turns out.
I'm also going to do an NEIPA with it too but that's not really related to a bitter.

I think he settled on half each Verdant and Nottingham. That's what I use and it has a really nice flavor without overdoing it. Which I understand is a personal taste matter.

View attachment 845762
Nowadays, I'm using all Nottingham instead of a mix. It's not the same beer as with pub, but it's still a great one. If you mix, I'd recommend 30% verdant, rest Nottingham. Verdant is just too intense for me.

But it's a REALLY great yeast for everything American hop forward!

Last edited:
@Miraculix if I remember correctly you tried brewing this with Verdant in an attempt to find a decent dry yeast for it.
However it was too fruity and had lower attenuation than you wanted.

Maybe WHC Saturated dry yeast might be worth a try?

https://whclab.com/product/dehydrated-saturated-dried-yeast-500g/?v=3a52f3c22ed6

It's also supposed to be a dry version of the London III Ale yeast but from what I read about it, it should have slightly higher attenuation and is not as fruity as Verdant.
I ordered a pack a while ago from an Irish shop but see it is now also available from Braumarkt and Amihopfen.

I haven't used it yet but I plan on brewing a Young's London Special ale clone that I did with Verdant last year (which was very tasty) and see how different it turns out.
I'm also going to do an NEIPA with it too but that's not really related to a bitter.
I will try that one, thanks!

Nowadays, I'm using all Nottingham instead of a mix. It's not the same newer as with pub, but it's still a great one. If you mix, I'd recommend 30% verdant, rest Nottingham. Verdant is just to intense for me.

But it's a REALLY great yeast for everything American hop forward!
Everyone's tastes will have a different answer. You hit it just right for me with 1/2 & 1/2.

Cobb's *is* a Golding. When you buy "Goldings" it can be a mix or any one of several named clones of the Goldings family, that include Amos' Early Bird, Eastwell, Cobb's etc - but not Styrian or WGV!
I was getting ready to brew this again, as it's a hit with me and the tennis mooks who'll drink anything wet pretty much.

And I have only Celeia. <fume>

I will buy some EKG and make something else instead.

Back