British Golden Ale Miraculix Best - Classic English Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it doesn't need rousing and regular aeration like 1969, but it sure doesn't hurt. Rousing and top-cropping has become a normal operation for me with these thick barm making English yeasts.
You mean, the 1469 doesn't need it, relative to the 1969? Interesting. Cool, thanks. One thing I've come to love in the 1469 are the stone-fruit esters, in particular peach and peach blossom. But I am a huge fan of marmalade too, so looking forward to the A09 in particular.

Yeah, sorry. Keep getting my numbers mixed up. The Pub is just fine if left alone. Maybe some more esters, faster ferment, if roused. It does flocc extremely well, so the final few points might crawl. The Yorkshire needs the aeration to keep the phenolics in check. Two very, very different yeasts.

Just coming to this, excellent thread though I have to read it through more carefully. Thanks Miraculix. I'm interested in the Imperial A09. Been using the Wy 1469 and like it quite a bit, just read a few times now on the Imperial and would like to try it. Can you or anyone tell me the provenance of the yeast? Pretty big fan of marmalade in bitters, which is one reason I love First Gold so much. Forget - does the Imperial exhibit the characteristic well?

Secondly, and it may be covered so sorry if so, but your 30 minute boil - not sure I've seen an AG recipe with this short a boil. Can you tell me your reasoning on this? Sounds interesting (again perhaps it's covered. Will read through the thread).
To my knowledge, imperial pub is the only yeast that could actually be traced back to the Fuller's brewery. It also behaves differently than the 1469 and the 002. Imperial does not throw fusels as easily as the others do at higher temperatures and it flocks like a stone. Ester expression is also increased with pub. I have not had any marmalade from the other two yeasts. Pub seems to be unique in that regard.

The short boil is just because of time saving reasons. You can do it, or you can boil for one hour. The difference should be minimal.

No rousing necessary but it wouldn't hurt either as long as you don't introduce oxygen while doing it.

Just coming to this, excellent thread though I have to read it through more carefully. Thanks Miraculix. I'm interested in the Imperial A09. Been using the Wy 1469 and like it quite a bit, just read a few times now on the Imperial and would like to try it. Can you or anyone tell me the provenance of the yeast? Pretty big fan of marmalade in bitters, which is one reason I love First Gold so much. Forget - does the Imperial exhibit the characteristic well?

Secondly, and it may be covered so sorry if so, but your 30 minute boil - not sure I've seen an AG recipe with this short a boil. Can you tell me your reasoning on this? Sounds interesting (again perhaps it's covered. Will read through the thread).
Never used the WY 1469, but I’ve used A09 “Pub” in mine along with First Gold and a step mashed 75 minute ‘gentle’ boil. It reminded me very much of the Fuller’s London Pride that I drank many times when in England.

The grist was 45% Crisp Chevalier, 45% Fawcett M.O., 7% Crisp Crystal 77L, and the rest was acidulated and a pinch of Fawcett Chocolate malt. Bittered with Target, mid boil with First Gold, :05 minutes with ½ oz each of Northdown and Challenger. Total IBUs 35.9.

The hardest part of this beer was obtaining authentic British ingredients on this side of the pond. But it was well worth the effort.

To my knowledge, imperial pub is the only yeast that could actually be traced back to the Fuller's brewery. It also behaves differently than the 1469 and the 002. Imperial does not throw fusels as easily as the others do at higher temperatures and it flocks like a stone. Ester expression is also increased with pub. I have not had any marmalade from the other two yeasts. Pub seems to be unique in that regard.

The short boil is just because of time saving reasons. You can do it, or you can boil for one hour. The difference should be minimal.

No rousing necessary but it wouldn't hurt either as long as you don't introduce oxygen while doing it.
Great. Many thanks.

Never used the WY 1469, but I’ve used A09 “Pub” in mine along with First Gold and a step mashed 75 minute ‘gentle’ boil. It reminded me very much of the Fuller’s London Pride that I drank many times when in England.

The grist was 45% Crisp Chevalier, 45% Fawcett M.O., 7% Crisp Crystal 77L, and the rest was acidulated and a pinch of Fawcett Chocolate malt. Bittered with Target, mid boil with First Gold, :05 minutes with ½ oz each of Northdown and Challenger. Total IBUs 35.9.

The hardest part of this beer was obtaining authentic British ingredients on this side of the pond. But it was well worth the effort.
I see that NB carries the Chevallier malt. It looks incredible by the description. I do have the 77 and am getting in more Warminster (and Fawcett). I have never used Target but do actually want to try the true Fuller's hop regimen, so looking forward to it. Here's a current iteration of a strong bitter, sort of emulating the Fuller's hop regime:

1703168576203.png

Try Chevalier without any crystal first. That basemalt is a much more complex flavour than modern varietals.
There is a reason lots of those late 1800's/early 1900's milds were just Chev, invert 2/3 and maybe a bit of brown or black malt, they didn't need any more.
I brewed up this Let's Brew Wednesday - 1885 Kirkstall L
It tasted wonderfully of butterscotch and toffee, but contained no crystal at all...
Only Chevalier, invert 2 and a bit of brown malt.

I second these recommendations.

Crystal 77 only, eliminate the dark crystal altogether. I'd also go with chocolate rather than brown malt, but that's just a personal preference. Instead of invert sugar, I used Lyle's Golden Syrup which is hard to find Stateside, but is available on Amazon. It's popular in England and can be subbed 1:1 with invert sugar in your recipe. One tin of Lyles is around 500 grams, so nearly equal with your 1# of invert. I don't know the exact Lovibond of Lyle's but whatever it is it compliments the color of the beer to look like Fuller's, neither too dark or too light.

Other than that, the recipe looks great, and is remarkably similar to mine that scored so well in competition.

I see that NB carries the Chevallier malt. It looks incredible by the description. I do have the 77 and am getting in more Warminster (and Fawcett). I have never used Target but do actually want to try the true Fuller's hop regimen, so looking forward to it. Here's a current iteration of a strong bitter, sort of emulating the Fuller's hop regime:

View attachment 837095
No Chevalier! It differs heavily from year to year. I've had batches that were incredible on their own, bringing all the crystal goodness without any additional malts and I've had batches that were just very harsh and unpleasant. These batches improved with age and were very nice for beers intended to be aged 6 months+, but definitely not suitable for a normal bitter.

No Chevalier! It differs heavily from year to year. I've had batches that were incredible on their own, bringing all the crystal goodness without any additional malts and I've had batches that were just very harsh and unpleasant. These batches improved with age and were very nice for beers intended to be aged 6 months+, but definitely not suitable for a normal bitter.
Wow, that's interesting. From the description I was salivating to try it but it is at a premium. I'll do an ordinary bitter, lower gravity, probably, just to get wee taste. 👍

Wow, that's interesting. From the description I was salivating to try it but it is at a premium. I'll do an ordinary bitter, lower gravity, probably, just to get wee taste. 👍
I'd recommend a barley wine. Only Chevallier, 10% to 20% invert number one or two and some noble-ish bittering hops. 10% abv, aged for one year, heaven!

Co-pitch a09 and half a pack of us05 for higher attenuation.

I've done yeast offs between Pub, WLP02 and 1469. Pub has always been the blind taste test winner at the homebrew shop. If fact, have done same with 4-5 yeasts and Imperial has always been #1, and not sure why.

All the purported Fullers yeast strains floc like crazy. Big old chunks. A bit of Lyle's golden syrup seems to help. Not only available on Amazon, but also in my local Kroger affiliated supermarkets and World Imports. Or you can make your own invert. So, you may need to rouse the yeast, especially if bottle conditioning.

I've recultured Fullers yeast successfully from one of the bottles that @Northern_Brewer kindly brought to seattle. Made a second partigyle with it and some darker grains, so didn't taste the marmalade. And for some reason, after close to 10 years of being available in the US as bargain prices, First Gold seems to have gone off market. But Fullers + First Gold should be a nice pairing for a bit of marmalade.

For this specific recipe, goldings is the best match if you ask me. The a09 provides all the flavour I am looking for. But I'm going to try first gold when I'm using a dry yeast in the future.

I've done yeast offs between Pub, WLP02 and 1469. Pub has always been the blind taste test winner at the homebrew shop. If fact, have done same with 4-5 yeasts and Imperial has always been #1, and not sure why.

All the purported Fullers yeast strains floc like crazy. Big old chunks. A bit of Lyle's golden syrup seems to help. Not only available on Amazon, but also in my local Kroger affiliated supermarkets and World Imports. Or you can make your own invert. So, you may need to rouse the yeast, especially if bottle conditioning.

I've recultured Fullers yeast successfully from one of the bottles that @Northern_Brewer kindly brought to seattle. Made a second partigyle with it and some darker grains, so didn't taste the marmalade. And for some reason, after close to 10 years of being available in the US as bargain prices, First Gold seems to have gone off market. But Fullers + First Gold should be a nice pairing for a bit of marmalade.
FWIW, I got a pound of First Gold recently from Northwest Hop Farms. Currently in a strong bitter about a week into primary.

Is the recipe presented on the first page of this thread still correct? Asking as I see there's lots of discussion and mention of not being able to edit it anymore. My LBS has A09 last I checked. First Gold - not so easy to get here.

I have a Dark Mild and Ghost Ship [citrus pale] clone on the beer engines now and am planning my next brew. Cheers!

IAnd for some reason, after close to 10 years of being available in the US as bargain prices, First Gold seems to have gone off market. But Fullers + First Gold should be a nice pairing for a bit of marmalade.
Its not just First Gold. I’ve had problems finding most British hops for the past year. Challenger, Target, any of those.

Its not just First Gold. I’ve had problems finding most British hops for the past year. Challenger, Target, any of those.
I finally had to source thru Canada this year to obtain First Gold, Target and Challenger. Shipping and delays clearing Customs were the drawbacks, but the prices (ex. shipping) were only slightly higher. BTW, quality was quite good.

I finally had to source thru Canada this year to obtain First Gold, Target and Challenger. Shipping and delays clearing Customs were the drawbacks, but the prices (ex. shipping) were only slightly higher. BTW, quality was quite good.
Have to say, very pleased with Northwest Hop Farms. At $12/pound, and reasonable shipping, and getting them quickly, pretty much painless and I'll definitely be working with them again. Picked up Northdown, Challenger, First Gold and Bramling Cross. That said, our LHBS actually carries quite a bit of Challenger.

Is the recipe presented on the first page of this thread still correct? Asking as I see there's lots of discussion and mention of not being able to edit it anymore. My LBS has A09 last I checked. First Gold - not so easy to get here.

I have a Dark Mild and Ghost Ship [citrus pale] clone on the beer engines now and am planning my next brew. Cheers!
It's still correct, yes!

Have to say, very pleased with Northwest Hop Farms. At $12/pound, and reasonable shipping, and getting them quickly, pretty much painless and I'll definitely be working with them again. Picked up Northdown, Challenger, First Gold and Bramling Cross. That said, our LHBS actually carries quite a bit of Challenger.
Yes, that’s where I got my British hops. Very satisfied with the quality and service, even though it took a few days to clear customs.

Yeah, sorry. Keep getting my numbers mixed up. The Pub is just fine if left alone. Maybe some more esters, faster ferment, if roused. It does flocc extremely well, so the final few points might crawl. The Yorkshire needs the aeration to keep the phenolics in check. Two very, very different yeasts.
The thing about phenolics is true for the White Labs version of a Yorkshire yeast (WLP037), but not the WY1469 that was being discussed. Definitely POF-, and an amazing yeast.

Just making sure people don't shy away from that yeast ;)

If I get back into a reasonable rhythm of brewing, I'll definitely give the A09 a shot, though!

The thing about phenolics is true for the White Labs version of a Yorkshire yeast (WLP037), but not the WY1469 that was being discussed. Definitely POF-, and an amazing yeast.

If I get back into a reasonable rhythm of brewing, I'll definitely give the A09 a shot, though!

Fair enough, I'm not sure about its POF designation. But I know from limited annecdotal experience that 1469 can throw some clovey/peppery stuff. By the third subsequent batch, it was quite pleasant in an American brown ale. My biggest takeaway was its wide variability in expression across the half dozen or so batches I brewed with it. Mostly rather simple bitters with nothing to hide behind. Quite nice when I could brew frequently enough for immediate turnovers.

Fair enough, I'm not sure about its POF designation. But I know from limited annecdotal experience that 1469 can throw some clovey/peppery stuff. By the third subsequent batch, it was quite pleasant in an American brown ale. My biggest takeaway was its wide variability in expression across the half dozen or so batches I brewed with it. Mostly rather simple bitters with nothing to hide behind. Quite nice when I could brew frequently enough for immediate turnovers.
Cool note. It will be beat up I'm afraid by the time it's repitched, as we left town yesterday and I cropped on Wednesday (and won't be brewing again until next week), but pretty excited about it's repitching performance so far, off of top-cropping. And those stone fruit esters are killer.

Excellent, thanks. I contacted the Malt Miller and though they're currently out, looking forward to ordering their Brewlabs Yorkshire yeast once it's back in. I believe that's Timothy Taylor's, is it not?

Back to this thread's favorite yeast, I had ordered some Pub as part of a LHBS group order straight from Imperial back in October. All the other yeasts delivered, the Pub needed to wait on new Pub packaging to come in.

Just checked in with the LHBS. They checked in with Imperial. Still waiting on the Pub packaging.

OY! Just throw an Inkjet sticker on whatever pouch you've got and send it out the door!

Back to this thread's favorite yeast, I had ordered some Pub as part of a LHBS group order straight from Imperial back in October. All the other yeasts delivered, the Pub needed to wait on new Pub packaging to come in.

Just checked in with the LHBS. They checked in with Imperial. Still waiting on the Pub packaging.

OY! Just throw an Inkjet sticker on whatever pouch you've got and send it out the door!
FWIW, Northern Brewer currently has some.

How to deal wiht Yorkie Squares? I did half a dozen batches a few years ago, and it was all over the place. Gave it up as too inconsistent, and wasn't able to make anything worth the effort

I've got this half-way fermented right now. I struggled to find a place to get A09 and my LHBS all said it will be not be available for a while. It got me thinking about top-cropping some. Never tried to harvest yeast before and I just finished a brown ale last week so doubt I'll brew for another month. Is it worth sticking some crop in a jar? The A09 I got from Northern was already four months old so I did a 1L starter for my 30L (8 gallon) batch.

Definitely worth cropping and storing some.

I wish I had some Pub on hand. My LHBS has had mine on order since October. Something about Imperial not having the right packaging, but at this point I'm assuming something more is at issue. They could easily slap a sticker on whatever packaging they've got for their other strains.

I had Pub go successfully for 6 or 7 batches before it went bad. That last storage was about six months. Two to three weeks was not a problem at all.

That was harvested post-fermentation cake. Top-cropping would be better.

Latest posts

Back