Mint for Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Dogman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewers,

I brewed up a Chocolate Mint Stout last week, and it has already fermented out. So I am planning on doing the mint part pretty soon. I have about 3oz of mint soaking in a couple of oz of vodka, but I am worried it will be add a vegetative taste to my beer. The vodka is brown and I can smell mint, but it almost smells rotten.

How would I add Mint to my secondary?! I though about making a tea out of some fresh leaves and pouring that in. Or maybe doing a short soak in vodka to sanitize and then adding the leaves to the secondary.

Need help! Thanks for any advice!

-Dogman

Make similar to mint sauce. Chop leaves finely, put in mug, pour in boiling water. Once cooled. add to fermenter.

That's what I was thinking. I could probably just do it the same way I did my hop tea with a French press, although I will probably just pour the whole thing in mint leaves and all.

I used Celestial Seasonings Peppermint Tea for one. I added it at the end of the boil, but it should work just fine with the method you describe. As for dosage, I used 10 bags with 10 minutes left in the boil and it was stronger than I would have preferred. Others told me they loved it and it took 1st in Spice, Herb, Vegetable in the first round at NHC, but I thought it was a little out of balance.

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herbal/peppermint-herbal-tea

I did a cucumber mint saison with 2 whole sprigs of mint just sanitized in starsan and dropped into the secondary. IMO, the key to not getting vegetal off flavors is to not chop the mint up, but leave it whole, stems and everything. 2 sprigs was a very good amount BTW for 5gal

I used Celestial Seasonings Peppermint Tea for one. I added it at the end of the boil, but it should work just fine with the method you describe. As for dosage, I used 10 bags with 10 minutes left in the boil and it was stronger than I would have preferred. Others told me they loved it and it took 1st in Spice, Herb, Vegetable in the first round at NHC, but I thought it was a little out of balance.

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herbal/peppermint-herbal-tea

I should have mentioned, mine was a five gallon batch.

I recently made a 5 gal mint stout. I bought 2 ounces of fresh peppermint from an herb store in town. The mint was super fresh! I added one ounce to the boil and dry hopped with 3/4 ounce. It added to much mint. I should have dry hopped with 1/4-1/2 ounce. I didnt sanitize the mint and didnt use a muslin bag. I would recommend using a muslin bag. Good luck!

Back