Mini Split for Glycol Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MnShnBru

Reaction score
Howdy y'all,

I'm just wondering if there are any technical reasons that a mini split system air conditioner couldn't be used in a DYI glycol chiller?

Same basic principle as the window/wall unit idea - evaporator immersed in the glycol bath inside a cooler, circulation pumping over evaporator, additional pumps supplying fermenter jackets, etc. Just, the compressor can be located outside. From what I can tell, the only real difference is the length of copper between the compressor unit and the evaporator. Though wiring may take some additional research. Planning to use an STC-1000 with additional SSR as control. I've seen plenty of builds using the window units, but can't find anyone that has used a split system yet.

I'm not trying to complicate the window unit design, but I have a split system sitting in the garage not being used. Would be perfect if I could make use of it.

Downside would be cost of an HVAC tech to get involved for running copper and gassing it up - but I'm sure I can find one that likes beer!

Thoughts?

Cheers folks!

I have all the HVAC tools, certified to handle refrigerant and like Beer!
Too complicated. Engineer, build and and test the evaporator. Either a plate chiller, tube chiller or immersion chiller.
Also mini splits condenser output is determined by how much cooling is requested by the evaporator. Not sure if it can be done, somehow control the VFD or override it.

Sell or install the mini split.

A little off topic. Using a window ac unit, rather than rigging it up to dunk the evap into a cooler, what would it take to make tube in a tube evaporator and recirculate the glycol?

Back