mini keg vs. pressurized growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyRaven

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't find a thread addressing this, so I'd like to get opinions.

I am now kegging most of my brew. I want to be able to take some brew with me to gatherings to share. I've been looking at pressurized growlers like the uKeg 128 and similar, but at that price I could also buy a cannonball keg, pop tap, and bring my spare CO2 tank for less. As I see it:

Mini keg:
  • Holds more beer, 1.75 gallon
  • standard parts for the faucet and gas supply
  • refill the CO2 tank instead of buying disposable cartridges

Pressurized growler:
  • Coolness factor
  • Coolness - keeps the beer cold longer
  • Integrated gas solution, don't have to lug the tank along
  • smaller than a mini keg

What are your thoughts?

I like the mini keg as you could also use it for experimental batches when it's not being used to carry homebrew to gatherings. You could use cartridges for the mini keg as well as one of those faucet/disconnects to make it less cumbersome.

I like the Ukeg128. It does have a cool retro look to it, but when taking homebrew to gatherings, I would rather just use a plain old growler and keep it simple (and cheaper). I have a Stanley double walled insulated growler I use for my brew club meetings. It has a wide mouth, so I don't have to use a growler filler and worry about foam issues when filling it. The beer stays cold too.

i went for a couple of 64oz stainless steel "growler mini kegs". single walled, non insulated.

my reasons were;

- i brew small batches 1 - 1.5 gallon
- i do not have a dedicated keggerator/fridge/freezer
- fits in fridge door
- i would not be able to sneak a proper mini keg like a cannonball into the fridge without my wife asking WTF?!
- easy to rotate through different brews
- can condition in the growler, no rush conditioning/carbing
- can force carb when in a hurry :)
- can poor into a glass from growler, or install tap faucet and CO2
- super portable

i works for me ;)

J.

I like the way the growler looks but I could not see myself buying one. If you was planing on not drinking that much beer in one sitting than that would work. It's just to small for me. I'd stick to just the plane Jane growlers.

pet bottles (1 or 2 litter pop bottles) with a Kent carbonator cap.

Back