Mini keg carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmoose44

Reaction score
Hello, I have read recently that if you want to put your brew into mini kegs that you should use only 60% of the priming sugar you normally use. Is this right? Also some of my mini kegs will be used as gravity dispensed and some will have CO2 used on them. Will both of these get the same amount of priming sugar?

Thanks and brew well everyone.

Bruce

For regular cornies the amount of priming sugar (if used) is half of the normal (4-5 oz) amount.

For minikegs (5 liter) it's 1-2 tablespoons depending on your desired carbonation level. One works just fine for most brews.:D

I tried 3 once in a Hefe Weizen. The keg swell from the pressure and opened up at the seam...oops...:eek:

...and welcome to the forum!!

Just did two of these and used 1.5 tablespoons and the Rye IPA turned out perfect.

I was shooting for the feel of cask ale and in my case I feel like 1.5 hit it on the nose.

My first thought was wow that is so little sugar. But once I did the math I see that it is not. For 5 gal. I use 3/4 cup of sugar. AT the rate of 1.5 Tablespoon per mini keg X4 to equal 5 gal. that comes out to 3/8 cup which is 50% and I had read go 60% so that is very close. Well I did them at 100% and they have set for 8 days now so I think I will remove the seal on the top of the keg to release some of the gas and then reseal them and hope for the best. What do you think?

Bruce

Is there any more info on using kegs and priming sugar? Dispensing? Sediment issues? Longeivity of the brew?
I have recently acquired 2, but I haven't been able to secure my CO2 tank/gauge.
It would be pretty cool to be able to prime the keg like I do with bottles and dispense.

At 8 days the carbonation is nearly finished, so if you release too much CO2 you'd have to re-prime. I'd just pull a pint and see how the pressure settles out for the second one.

Back