Mini Ice Bank/Flash Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFaden

Reaction score
Anyone ever constructed one? I was looking to build one using a thermoelectric cooler. Basically I want to run my seltzer tap using it instead of using a keg in my fridge. Any experience with them?... should I build/buy?... any advice helpful. Thanks all.

To get your beverage from room temp down to 35* or so is going to take at least a 1/2 ton refrigeration system, and it won't be terribly practical for a single glass at a time.

The power requirements for a TEC Flash Chiller setup are way, way far and beyond what you want to **** with.

I forget the exact numbers, but I did my MechE senior design project on exactly what you are talking about, with the initial thought of using peltiers. Ended up using a window AC unit modified with a tube-in-tube counterflow evaporator. It worked, and I made it sound like the best thing since sliced bread, but it really wasn't that great.

To get your beverage from room temp down to 35* or so is going to take at least a 1/2 ton refrigeration system, and it won't be terribly practical for a single glass at a time.

The power requirements for a TEC Flash Chiller setup are way, way far and beyond what you want to **** with.

I forget the exact numbers, but I did my MechE senior design project on exactly what you are talking about, with the initial thought of using peltiers. Ended up using a window AC unit modified with a tube-in-tube counterflow evaporator. It worked, and I made it sound like the best thing since sliced bread, but it really wasn't that great.

Uh... crap. Could I build a glycol tank with a coil in it and use a peltier/TEC to chill that down? or is this whole project just not going to work?

Basically I was thinking an insulated 1 - 2 Gallon tank filled with Glycol. Mount a plate chiller in that and then pass my seltzer line through the plate.

I suppose you could. It would really need to be insulated well and have a fairly large thermal mass (lots of glycol). Even then, you'd probably have to have a liquid cooling loop for the hot side of the peltier to let the cold side get cold enough to get the glycol cold enough to chill the seltzer down...

All in all, it would be cheaper / easier / smaller footprint to get a bigger beer fridge to hold another keg.

I suppose you could. It would really need to be insulated well and have a fairly large thermal mass (lots of glycol). Even then, you'd probably have to have a liquid cooling loop for the hot side of the peltier to let the cold side get cold enough to get the glycol cold enough to chill the seltzer down...

All in all, it would be cheaper / easier / smaller footprint to get a bigger beer fridge to hold another keg.

Part of the problem is I keep having little leaks with the kegs. Basically since I am flowing water into the gas in... the little leak causes the tank to completely fill with liquid and eventually start leaking water. I have pressure tested them and haven't been able to trace the leak down..... driving me nuts.

Latest posts

Back