Mini co2 regulator vs charger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r4dyce

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 3 gallon keg that I want to bring on a boat this coming spring/summer. For dispensing I am seeing two basic options, the push button/trigger co2 charger and a mini regulator.
I'm reading some chargers don't work well and are hard to keep a good dispensing pressure. I'm also reading some regulators don't hold pressure and are hard to dial in at low pressure. Plus they are significantly more expensive.
I'm leaning towards charger just because it's cheaper and seems slimmer on the keg. Anyone had good/bad luck with either?

I like the little charger I have for the odd-ball portable keg dispensing (camping, impromptu party at family/friends). Yes it is difficult to control the pressure (tell everyone to treat it like a typical beer tap/pump, but be light on the trigger). Yes once you tap the little co2 tank you have to use it all in pretty much one sitting (it will leak, or at least mine does, so bring some extra cartridges). But you cant beat the portability. I don't have a mini regulator to compare to but I have used paintball regulators and tanks. The paintball setup works flawlessly but sometimes you just want less to lug around and deal with.

Another vote for the small 16g gram chargers. I don't think it takes much experimentation to figure out how much "trigger" to use to bump up the pressure to the right level. I also found that buying the 16g gram cartridges on Ebay is pretty economical.

Back