Milling Rye to Flour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afr0byte

Reaction score
Hey, so, I'm going to be brewing a saison soon. Part of the ingredients list for the beer will be a pound of rye malt. I was thinking, since I'll likely use some rice hulls to be safe anyways, has anyone here milled rye malt to a flour (I have a home flour mill that I could use.)? If so, how did the beer turn out? I'll probably just mill/crush the rye seperately as is normal for me, but I figured I'd ask.

Flour can still gum things up even with rice hulls. For a pound, it probably wouldn't matter, but I'm not sure what you are hoping to gain. It should convert just fine without turning it to complete flour.

Flour can still gum things up even with rice hulls. For a pound, it probably wouldn't matter, but I'm not sure what you are hoping to gain. It should convert just fine without turning it to complete flour.

Mostly I wanted to try it out as a test batch for any future wheat beers, with the thinking that efficiency might be better than I normally would get with a wheat beer. Obviously in this case with the rye I wouldn't notice any major change from the flour, efficiency wise, but I could verify that the beer turned out fine / lautering went well.

Well, I don't think a 1lb addition will tell you much about that. 10% vs 50% is a whole different ballgame.

If you haven't already, you might try a longer mash. Raw and flaked wheat don't have enzymes, so if they are a big portion of your grainbill, you might need substantially longer than usual for full conversion.

Back