Miller lite clone . why the heck would you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjones

Reaction score
So. I recently did a miller lite clone recipe I found here in hbt . people are like why brew something you can buy just as cheap and easily?

I like light beer

I don't want to buy beer made with

GMO
High fructose corn syrup
And other toxic garbage in it

Am I a health but? Not a chance

Do I like drinking beer. Yep . allot!

So... Anyways hope my clone comes out good.

All grain

If you search this forum for miller lite clone there is a old thread with 50 plus pages replies

Will post the pic in two weeks

Heck the question is more like "Why NOT brew it??". I get upset at others brewers tellingn guys on here all the time things like "oh you can buy that cheaper" or "Why would you want to brew that".

The fact is you WANTED to brew it, and one of the greatest things about homebrewing is we don't neeeeeeeeeed no stinkin reason!

I hope your clone turns out great!

Light beers that are mostly base grain and lightly hops have to be the cheapest to brew. You can buy SNPA cheaper than you can brew it, too.

I don't think people who drink Miller Lite care what is in their beer to make it tolerable. :D Kidding, mostly. Who cares about what others think. You brewed the beer you love and if that is what you want to do then rock out. By brewing it anyway you can stick it to your buddies who question why you'd brew what you can buy.

Let's be frank, we all brew what we can buy if you think about it.

I think there has been some misinformation floating around about HFCS in beer. Not all corn syrup is HFCS, and then thats fermented out anyway so who cares?

I'm refusing to drink Miller based purely on taste reasons.

Kombat,

GMO grains are genetically modified so they are tolerant in herbicides like roundup. So the grain may actually not be bad for you but they are spraying herbicides that may not be the best for the environment.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403535536.320304.jpg

Now back to the thread. I brew a schlitz clone I found from BYO and it is the perfect summer beer. More importantly it keeps my Father in Law happy.

Crisp, clean, and refreshing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

But her name is foodbabe and she's relatively hot...so that's credentials enough for me. I want to hear her try and spell out genetically modified organism though.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403535945.527396.jpg

Miller Lite yeck...gotta go with the King.!

Kombat,

GMO grains are genetically modified so they are tolerant in herbicides like roundup. So the grain may actually not be bad for you but they are spraying herbicides that may not be the best for the environment.

View attachment 207270

Now back to the thread. I brew a schlitz clone I found from BYO and it is the perfect summer beer. More importantly it keeps my Father in Law happy.

Crisp, clean, and refreshing.

Point the way for the schlitz clone. Love a cold one on a hot day.

But her name is foodbabe and she's relatively hot...so that's credentials enough for me. I want to hear her try and spell out genetically modified organism though.
View attachment 207271

Miller Lite yeck...gotta go with the King.!

Holy hell, that's her? I'd call her more than relatively hot. Her article was beyond dumb but she's got some great sweater puppies it looks like

Brew whatever you want, drink lots of it, and piss on the nay sayers !

That will fix em lol

I brew a nice yellow Mexican lager on ale yeast, it is great, very refreshing on a hot day

Cheers :mug:

IMG_1849.jpg

Point the way for the schlitz clone. Love a cold one on a hot day.

https://byo.com/stories/item/137-american-pilsner-style-profile

Here is the original article. I brewed the Partial Mash version. Both the partial mash and all grain version have a typo in the hops usage so double check your numbers.

I have since modified the recipe for all grain and a single hop addition. I could not tell a difference in the taste. I have always used 2 packs of 34/70 yeast. The recipe below is for BIAB.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/106685/lighthouse-lager-all-grain

I read the blog. The gist of my reason for the beer... I like a light beer. I like a bigger beer. I like to know what Is in my food and drinks. I like to eat. I like to drink. I like to get a good buzz on. I like to do what I like to do. Not sure why why people are so pationately angry at a beer company. There is very Little difference in a " smooth easy drinking lawn mower beer" and a "lite" beer. Abv wise.

I guess I don't understand the GMO stuff. We have been genetically modifying plants knowingly and unknowingly since we have been cultivating them.

Used to drink tons of pearl...wonder if anyone has ever been crazy enough to try and clone that.

I read the blog. The gist of my reason for the beer... I like a light beer. I like a bigger beer. I like to know what Is in my food and drinks. I like to eat. I like to drink. I like to get a good buzz on. I like to do what I like to do. Not sure why why people are so pationately angry at a beer company. There is very Little difference in a " smooth easy drinking lawn mower beer" and a "lite" beer. Abv wise.

With respect to brewing a lite beer, I dislike Miller Lite. It has nothing to do with who brewed it, it has to do with the taste. There is a brewer here by the name of banesong who sent me a bunch of low ABV beers; 3% or lower ABV. They were all wonderful. So much taste, to light and crisp. It made me wonder why Miller Lite tastes so bad to me and yet here is this wonderful beer that I can drink a bunch of on a hot summer day and still function. I tried Miller and Coors again and still, just not my idea of a beer I want to drink.

With respect to brewing a lite beer, I dislike Miller Lite. It has nothing to do with who brewed it, it has to do with the taste.

You are not alone. I don't care what anyone says there is a "courseness" to most BMC type beers and Lite is especially so. (and this is coming from a huge IPA drinker) Must be high coho hops used for bittering. Personally, I like Old Milwaukee Light when the mood strikes. Doesn't hurt it is an American beer and brewer either...

If I was brewing a "light" beer (and dedicating a fridge for lagering) I would just do a 1.045 with 2 row, saaz, and german lager yeast (a proper pils) and just be done with it. Sourcing 6 row malt, paying extra for flaked corn/rice, finding cluster hops, etc seems like a waste. Just pick up a case of Old Mill, a bag of ice. Load the cooler, put the ball game on the radio, and ready the grill...

will-ferrell-old-milwaukee.jpg

Exactly! Alcohol can be toxic toooo! That's why I made my ml clone 3%abv

The GMO grain that is produced by Monsanto Corp. For Miller Lite is treated heavily with chemicals and is engineered to with stand heavy doses of pesticide. In Europe GMO grain is banned because it is consistently linked to liver cancer.

Kombat,

And you have proof that no herbicides were used on the grain you buy or the grain that was used to make the extract? :drunk:

The GMO grain that is produced by Monsanto Corp. For Miller Lite is treated heavily with chemicals and is engineered to with stand heavy doses of pesticide. In Europe GMO grain is banned because it is consistently linked to liver cancer.

I get it, but unless you have irrefutable proof that none of the maltsters, of the grains you buy, source their barley from farmers under Monsanto then you are just being ignorantly cliche'.

Got a citation for that? Because the only paper I'm aware of that has claimed a proven link between GM corn and cancer has been withdrawn as fatally flawed (Seralini 2012). Virtually all lab mice in the U.S. have been fed GM corn for over a decade, but have no increase in incidence of cancer over European mice which have a GM free diet.

In Europe GMO grain is banned because it is consistently linked to liver cancer.

There is so much wrong with this one sentence that it's hard to know where to start.

First of all, no, GMO grain isn't banned in all of Europe. Europe is made up of dozens of countries, each of whom make their own decisions about what they will and won't ban. Furthermore, there are different rules for importing and exporting GMOs versus cultivating. There are different rules covering GMOs intended for human consumption versus animal consumption versus experimentation. The situation is obviously quite nuanced, and it is exceedingly naive and ignorant to simply claim they're banned across an entire continent.

Second of all, you state they're banned "because it is consistently linked to liver cancer." As if all of the countries in Europe have all banned all GMO grain, for that one, singular reason: a "consistent" link to liver cancer. Well of course that's nonsense. GMO bans are in place in several places for many reasons, some of them related to differences in patent law and an inability to adhere to Monsanto patents without running afoul of trade agreements. Many are economic reasons, such as free trade agreements and not wanting to compete with neighbor nations who are reciprocating with their own subsidies in other industries. Again, you are grossly oversimplifying the issue in order to exaggerate a specious point.

Finally, and perhaps most damningly, there is of course no respected, peer-reviewed, conclusive scientific study showing any "consistent link" between GMOs and liver cancer. Just one badly flawed study (whose authors included a homeopath). Forbes eviscerated the "study" you're referring to far more eloquently than I could, so I'll just let their commentary speak for itself. A highlight:

It turns out to be a very badly designed study, and the report itself omits many crucial details that may (and probably do) completely invalidate the findings. The scientists leading the study have a strongly biased agenda and a conflict of interest, which they failed to reveal.

[...]

This tortured English is their way of admitting that rats did worse (“similar effects”) when fed GM corn that was grown without Roundup. They don’t want to admit that this result contradicts their central hypothesis.

The study was designed to fail: the sample sizes (10 rats in each group) are so small that all the results are likely just due to chance, and none of the differences are meaningful. It’s exceedingly unlikely that the Roundup in the rats’ water made them live longer, just as it’s unlikely that Roundup Ready corn had any effect on the incidence of cancer.

I stopped drinking BMC Lagers when I read about all the DiHydrogen Monoxide they put in their beers. Do you have any idea how many children are killed every year due to DiHydrogen Monoxide related incidents?!?

Plus, it will be fresh, unpasteurized, and probably better for you (no heading agents or preservatives added). Interested in how it turns out.

The lady who won brewer of the year last year brewed an American Light Lager, called "Mow The Damn Lawn".

I only drink GMO-free beer...you know, because I wouldn't want to do anything that damages my liver. :cross:

Salt is bad for you. It has chemicals in it. Like sodium chloride.

It gets even worse.

I did some research, and guess what one of the two major ingredients in sodium chloride is?

That's right, chlorine! The same chemical used in chemical weapons to gas thousands of soldiers to death in the First World War!

I will not be taking my dubiously-sourced blog information with a grain of ANYTHING, good sir.

Clearly the only safe additive-free method of learning is to take everything I read at face value and question nothing.

Back