Millennium or Nugget in Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapa

Reaction score
Wanting to do a single hop Black IPA, CDA, IBA, whatever you want to call it, so I can get a taste for these hops. I have 1# of each-Millennium and Nugget. Any suggestions on which would taste better? I'm looking for a more earthy tone to match the malt, but also a piney floral taste/aroma. Maybe even a hint of citrus.

I figure if its not what I was hoping for, I can always toss some Amarillo or Centennial in the keg. Any suggestions between the two?

I'm going to use de-bittered black malt, because that's all my lhbs has, but I really WANT some roastiness to come thru. Considering even adding a few oz of chocolate. I want to get my hop fix, while I get my roasty fix!!

I would go for the nugget hops I happen to like them and have made IPA,S with just nugget hops
I say go for it

Try a small batch of each. I have never used millennium, so let me know how that works. I have been curious... may have to pick some up.

I tend to use simcoe and centennial in my Black IPA's, same as my IPA's.

I'm kind of hesitant now to go all 1 hop, as I don't have ANY beer in my kegs, and am scarcely low on bottles...so I need to make sure this batch comes out good, and turns over quick!

I think I'm going to use Nugget, but also use Cent and Amarillo. Was thinking Bitt, KO and DH - Nugget / FWH, 10, 5 and DH - Amarillo & Centennial.

Now that's the weather is finally breaking, its time to get the pipeline filled back up, so I'll definitely be trying these single hopped brews soon. Nobody seems to have done much with Millennium, so I'm looking forward to how it comes out. Probably just do normal IPAs though, so I can see which would be better fit for the cda.

Back