mill speed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dg35884

Reaction score
I received a grain mill for Christmas, it is the barley crushed mill that is quite common. I have not reset the gap from factory setting but my question is if I am using a power drill to run the mill, could the speed of the mill shred the husks to much? If so what's the easiest way to get the right speed dialed in? I ask because I am having some clarity issues and believe I am extracting far to much tannins. Thanks guys!

I think they reccomend 500rpm.
You should be able to find specs for your drills speed online.
If you have a low gear on your drill, I would switch it to that and stop just short of pullling the trigger all the way.

I received a grain mill for Christmas, it is the barley crushed mill that is quite common. I have not reset the gap from factory setting but my question is if I am using a power drill to run the mill, could the speed of the mill shred the husks to much? If so what's the easiest way to get the right speed dialed in? I ask because I am having some clarity issues and believe I am extracting far to much tannins. Thanks guys!

If you are extracting tannins, check your mash pH and the temperature of the mashout. You don't extract much tannins from shredding the husks.

Back