Military Peeps - Challenge Coins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schneemann

Reaction score
I'm not interested in throwing around a challenge coin in a bar. Mine's too important. I do wonder, however, how much of a conversation starter my coin is. I presently have a coin from the Chairman of the Join Chiefs of Staff - two administrations ago.

That's pretty high up there.

I have about 19 coins, several from generals, but nothing really exciting like yours. I have mine in a rack so they're kind of hard to lug around. HAHA!!

They are mostly for military types, but they impress civilians too. I know my grown up kids are impressed.

Congrats. :mug:

I also have a pretty good coin collection going. I need a bigger coin rack to display them all

My highest coin is from 4 star general Tommy R. Franks, while he was Cent Com commander, given to me by him about 1 month after 911 while on a deployment to Saudi Arabia

I have one from the FBI high tech crimes division. It was given to me after I taught a class for them. At the time I did not realize what the significance was, but learned afterward, and am now honored. I carry it in my laptop case... might come in handy for clearing customs someday :).

the best I ever got was a CNO coin when it was ummm. . . .vern clark (pretty sure thats him name)

In my career field, coin rank doesn't mean ****. In our line of work, it's the suck up's that don't know how to do their job that end up with the high-ranking coins.

Our rules are as follows:

1. Anyone with a Weapons coin can issue a "coin check."
2. Once the "coin check," has been issued by slamming a Weapons coin on the bar or dropping the coin into an empty pitcher, all Weapons personnel must present their Weapons coins in a similar manner.
3. Anyone unable to present a Weapons coin must purchase the next round of drinks for everyone who was able to present a Weapons coin. In the event that multiple personnel were unable to present coins, they will split the tab evenly unless the higher ranking personnel choose to pay the majority of the tab, or pay the tab in it's entirety.
4. In the event that everyone at the bar is able to present a Weapons coin, the Airman that issued the "coin check," must then pay for the next round.

Did I mention that we're Weapons troops?

I know this is old, but the topic came up so I did a search ;)

I only have 4 coins, but they mean a lot to me.

1. 10th SF Group coin presented by 2/10 C Co. CDR after our deployment to Kosovo.

2. USSOC CSM coin presented during another deployment to Kosovo by CSM Mel Wick

3. SECDEF coin given to my father by William Cohen when my father trained with a Secret Service team during Clinton's presidency. He told Cohen I was in the Army and Cohen gave it to him to give to me.

4. 9/11 Commemorative coin from the NYPD Intelligence Division. Given to me because I was in the military on 9/11. Only Intel Division officers on 9/11 and those of us who were in the military on 9/11 were given these coins. Gary Sinise was also given one for his support of 9/11 causes, wounded warriors, and first responders.

I wish there was a homebrewer's challenge coin!

I actually found an even cheaper company.

I wonder if Tx would allow someone to sell them without becoming a vendor. Maybe we should get a guage of the interest?

I have four coins.

A USASOC coin presented as a 'thank you for doing your job' kinda thing.
A Commanders Coin from 28th Transportation also for doing my job.
A 208th Finance Unit coin.
A Finance regiment coin.

I think a homebrewers coin would be a nice addition... :)

Yes! Homebrewers coin would be awesome. Loser of the challegs kegs the next 5 gallons! I think i still have my airmans coin floating around my room somewhere... allthe rest are in storage i thinnk

I would be interested and I know of the perfect vendor, it's one I do a fair amount of business with so I get decent pricing.

Billy

I find that the coins have lost there true meaning over the couple of years. I saw people geting coins for some real bs before I got out and even now as a civilan I wonder if the traditions is still true

somebody start designing it before a pm is sent.... one side joint service the other home brewer. i was only stationed at joint service bases and although there was mucho **** talking, it was all with brotherly love. i wish i still had the email talking about how we all call each other names but we can because we all share the same battle everyday. That could bethe credo on one side also???

Count me in. This sounds awesome. I may mention this to my homebrew club as well.

I sent TX a message regarding this. Anyone have any designs in mind? Looks like we're going with a joint service theme on one side, and a homebrewer theme on the other. I don't mind organizing this and even laying out the money, but I have no experience in designing coins as I was an E5 when I got out and doubt anyone would have wanted a coin form me!

I'm in!!

Never in the military, but my boss was. He served on a seal team and has a challenge coin that was given to him at some point during his service in the navy by Ronald Regan.

I'm in.

Best coin I ever received was from a LCpl (E-3). I helped him with an issue he was having. After all was said and done he says "MGunz, I don't know how to thank you but hopefully you will accept this..." and shakes my hand with his unit coin in it. Kind of cool.

that is cool... i think the cable dog coin i got from my ol ncoic meant the most to me,,, rank of the coin doesnt mean much to me it was what i did to earn it and the relationship i had with the issuer

chap,,, love the label... i have bulldog brewing myself, three devil dogs and a 10 day old puppy

So TX gave me the go-ahead. His only stipulation was that he fund the purchase and sell them through this site. We can design it though. Anyone have any ideas yet?

I have 8 coins in my Shadow Box and a few more stored away. My number one and most meaningful coin was given to me from the greatest Navy Skipper and American I know. We had just successfully completed a "Boots on the Ground" historical deployment in the sand.

I think it'd be a good idea to incorporate a bottle opener into the coin. I have a coin from a unit with a bottle opener; this one is not functional due to the soft metal, but still pretty cool. Just my thoughts.

I'd be in for one. Have a few, but my favorite is my Air Assault coin I got as a PFC at Ft Campbell. Some of the others are from Generals and CSM's, but the AA coin means the most.

Back