Mild just not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
I was attempting a quick turn around mild, and it has not worked out so far. I hit my OG on the nose at 1.035. Pitched a pack of S-04.

Day 3 of fermentation I woke up and found that my carboy had slipped to 60F, and the krausen had dropped. I didn't know if they were related or not. I gradually warmed it to 68, and at Day 7 went to keg. Problem was It ws only at 1.022. No biggie, I roused the yeast, kept her at 68, and waited 7 more days.

day 14- 1.022 damnit!. No change. For those keeping score, that is 1.69% abv. Even for a mild, that's alittle low. So I pitched another pack of S-04. Saw some minor airlock activity, and the temp crept up to 70. Fingers crossed.

day 20 (today)- wait for it.....1.021. One freaking gravity point. WTF!!! At least I'm up to 1.8% abv.

I checked my notes and my mash temp started at 155 and ended at 154, which was my target. Is there anything else I can do at this point, or am I going to have to live with t like this. It has a great roasty flavor, but is a bit sweet.

Next time should I drop the mash temp to 151 or something? This is Jamils recipe, and it states 154. Last time I made this I shot for 154 but only got 151, and didn't have this issue.

That mash temp should provide plenty of fermentables. Double check your temp. I hae to think S-04 should be busting at 68F. Push it up a couple degrees maybe. How did you oxygenate?

I'm confident the thermo is ok. I have brewed 3 times since, and the thermo reads 212 / 213 in the boiling wort.

oxygenation is done via an aquarium pump and aeration stone. I don't time it, just run it until the foam comes out the top of the BB.

Base malt is marris otter. I am sure the recipe is solid, as it is Jamils recipe. I have brewed it before, and had it from other brewers before. It is quite a good recipe.
A ProMash Recipe - The Jamil Show - Dark Mild

I mash Milds at the low end 150-151F. One option would be to add some dextrose, maybe a pound and 3-4 quarts of water. I made the Alibi Red from "Mild Ales" and that used 1.5 lbs.

I'm confident the thermo is ok. I have brewed 3 times since, and the thermo reads 212 / 213 in the boiling wort.\

Did you check it at 32 too? It can be accurate at one end and not at the other. If you're mashing at 155, all it takes is 2 or 3 degrees off to seriously limit fermentables.

Tis a mystery. Beano to the rescue. And good luck with that!

I've done some reading on beano, and I don't think I want to ty that.

You might try krausening it. Don't add Beano.

I thought krausening was used instead of corn sugar at botling. Is there another use I'm not aware of?

Did you check it at 32 too? It can be accurate at one end and not at the other. If you're mashing at 155, all it takes is 2 or 3 degrees off to seriously limit fermentables.

I didn't. I am starting to think this is the most likely candidate. Even though the thermo was showing accurate at boiling temps, I am starting to lose faith in it. It is one of the $25 probe thermos.

To calm my anxiety I took gravity redings of 2 of the other brews since. Both of those are fermenting / fermented out fine.

I really don't want to have to drop $75 on a thermapen, but I am getting frustrated with not knowing that I can trust my thermometers. Especially since a few degrees can make such a difference in a beer.

Back