Might have overdone priming a bit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIT_Warrior

Reaction score
So it was my first time brewing since forever, and I made a bit of a mess on brew day. To cut things short, I ended up with somewhere between 3.5 and 4 gallons of beer in the fermenter instead of the 5 I was shooting for.

Come bottling day, I dutifully remembered to cut a bit off the 3/4 cup of (pure cane) priming sugar I usually use, as I wanted my Pale Ale to have a bit less carbonation than usual. Unfortunately, I forgot to adjust for the fact that I only had about 3.5 gallons of beer and did not realize this until after everything was bottled and capped.

So what would you guys do, given the situation? I don't think I have enough in there for any of them to go off, but I don't want them gushing everywhere either when I finally go to drink them. I was thinking about cracking one open every day after a week in the bottles, then chucking the lot in the fridge when I think the carbonation is good. Or is there a better way?

You could wait for the carbonation to build up a bit, then gently pull up the caps to release gas, then clamp the caps back down again. Do this a couple times, maybe. The amount of sugar you described shouldn't create serious problems with carbonation, though; just open when cold and pour slowly. Bit of a pain either way, really. The way you described would work, though it would use up some of your bottles, and take up a lot of fridge space. I suppose it depends on how important the carbonation level is to you.

Back