Might be infected, what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
Well after three weeks in primary, I racked my Nukey Brown Ale to secondary last Saturday. I thought I was pretty sanitary with everything I did but today I noticed 5 or 6 white "patches" floating on top of my brew. I did a search on the forum for infections and saw WAY more than I wanted to but I fear that I may be growing one of my own.

So here's the question, what is the best thing to do? I haven't pulled the bung out for a smell because I wanted to keep it as sealed as possible but should I do that? I was going to leave it sit another 10 days or so before bottling but now I wonder, should I do it sooner? When I rack it to the bottling bucket, do I just stop with enough left in the carboy so the floating stuff stays behind?

I'd RDWHAHB but I don't have any home brews right now! :(

I'd RDWHAHB but I don't have any home brews right now! :(

This sounds like your bigger problem.

It's hard to say if you do have an infection without pictures and even they don't help much. You could try taking a sample and taste it. If it tastes like green, flat beer you're fine. I wouldn't put to much emphasis on this however because the beer dosen't taste correct until you give it some time. I really wouldn't worry about a possible infection because it's rather unlikely and there isn't much you can do anyway except wait.

The most likely situation is that you have some "patches" of yeast on the top that have formed from racking to a secondary to soon. Three days is not much time for the yeast to do their thing in the primary. I would put my money on this scenario.

Relax don't worry have a store bought craft brew. :D

White patches floating around are, 99% of the time, yeast colonies. I will bet you a buck that you have yeast floaties and nothing more.

bottle it and see what happens.

I had a heather ale sitting for the last 8 months hoping it would get better, but alas I finally gave up on a miracle.

bottle it and see what happens .

bottle it and see what happens.

I had a heather ale sitting for the last 8 months hoping it would get better, but alas I finally gave up on a miracle.

bottle it and see what happens .

So YOU are the last Pict?! How much do you want for that recipe?

Here, read the answers in this thread from yesterday....they apply to you as well :D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ugh-pretty-sure-bacteria-128269/

Timing is everything and some days I just don't have it. I read the thread you linked to immediately after posting my question. Although I don't have a home brew to relax with, I am relaxing and I see a Green Flash West Coast IPA in the fridge...

Thanks for calming me down. I'll let ya know what happens in a couple weeks when it goes into the bottles.

Usually, if it's contamination/infection, you'll know it as soon as you pull the stopper or lift the lid. I had my first one in fourteen years a couple weeks ago and it was unmistakeable. The smell of green apples and vinegar. It actually had little mother of vinegar colonies floating kinda like portuguese man-o-war.
That's acetobacter though, other organisims might be more subtle. Either way, something about the way it looks or smells will be clearly and sometimes frighteningly different than what you're used to.
I'd say if you have to ask, it's most likely not contaminated.

Back